Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escaping Special characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping Special characters Post 302365366 by proactiveaditya on Monday 26th of October 2009 06:04:32 PM
Old 10-26-2009
The single quote behaved like a normal character inside double quote..Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special Characters-Help

Hi All, I am having a trouble in passing special characters to a script. As I am new to bash script I dont know how to go and solve this. mypwd=(a+sdfg!h# if i pass $mypwd to a bash script, it is not accepting "(,!,+ etc". It would be a great help if some one can help to escape these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping non-readable characters using grep, sed or awk

I'm trying to parse out DNS logs from dozens of different domain controllers over a large period of time. The logs are rolled up into individual text files by size, which may contain only a portion of a day's activity or several day's worth (depending on amount of activity). I'm splitting them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanwpaul
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with escaping xml characters in a file

Hi, I have a file xy.csv with the following data separated by pipe (|): BC-NACO|12>ISA43<TEST| A & A INC|FAMOUS'S AL| i need to escape the xml characters as below BC-NACO|12&gt;ISA43&lt;TEST| A &amp; A INC|FAMOUS&apos;S AL| Please advise (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannarajesh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping special characters

I'm attempting a little hack to get grep to highlight (change foreground color to red) a found string. Assuming a target file "test" consisting of the word "albert": My executable "algrep" consists of this: grep $1 $2 | sed "s/$1/\\\033 And when run: algrep al test Produces this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies
snexpire,v0.3.8(8)					      System Manager's Manual						snexpire,v0.3.8(8)

NAME
snexpire - expire news under the sn system. SYNOPSIS
snexpire [-v] [-exp] newsgroup [[-exp] newsgroup]... DESCRIPTION
snexpire expires news in the sn news system, one article file (=10 articles, compile time default) at a time. snexpire always leaves behind at least one article file, so that newly entered articles will have numbers not overlapping previously used numbers. As an excep- tion if the expiration age is set to 0, then even this last file will be expired and subsequent article numbers will start from the begin- ning. You will need to be root or own /var/spool/sn to run snexpire. OPTIONS
-v Output a line for each article expired. The format of this line is the same as for snscan. ARGUMENTS
snexpire expires all newsgroups named on the command line. Each newsgroup may be preceded by -exp to control the expiration age. exp is of the form #[hdwmy] where # is a number, followed by one of the characters h,d,w,m,y representing hours, days, weeks, months and years. The default for -exp is a compile-time fixed. Each [-exp] applies to the next newsgroup only, any newsgroups after that one get default treatment unless overridden by another [-exp]. FILES MODIFIED
/var/spool/sn/newsgroup/.times, /var/spool/sn/newsgroup/[0123456789]*, /var/spool/sn/{.chain,.table}. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SNROOT If this is set and is not empty, the value is used in place of /var/spool/sn, the default news spool directory. FILES
/var/spool/sn/newsgroup/.expire If this exists, its contents are taken to be exp if not overridden by -exp on the command line. N.B. Harold Tay snexpire,v0.3.8(8)