Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escaping Special characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping Special characters Post 302365365 by Scott on Monday 26th of October 2009 06:01:00 PM
Old 10-26-2009
Code:
echo " '$x' "
'  '

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special Characters-Help

Hi All, I am having a trouble in passing special characters to a script. As I am new to bash script I dont know how to go and solve this. mypwd=(a+sdfg!h# if i pass $mypwd to a bash script, it is not accepting "(,!,+ etc". It would be a great help if some one can help to escape these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping non-readable characters using grep, sed or awk

I'm trying to parse out DNS logs from dozens of different domain controllers over a large period of time. The logs are rolled up into individual text files by size, which may contain only a portion of a day's activity or several day's worth (depending on amount of activity). I'm splitting them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanwpaul
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with escaping xml characters in a file

Hi, I have a file xy.csv with the following data separated by pipe (|): BC-NACO|12>ISA43<TEST| A & A INC|FAMOUS'S AL| i need to escape the xml characters as below BC-NACO|12&gt;ISA43&lt;TEST| A &amp; A INC|FAMOUS&apos;S AL| Please advise (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannarajesh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping special characters

I'm attempting a little hack to get grep to highlight (change foreground color to red) a found string. Assuming a target file "test" consisting of the word "albert": My executable "algrep" consists of this: grep $1 $2 | sed "s/$1/\\\033 And when run: algrep al test Produces this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)