Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escaping Special characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping Special characters Post 302365360 by proactiveaditya on Monday 26th of October 2009 05:54:13 PM
Old 10-26-2009
I thought single quote reduces the significance of special characters including $.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special Characters-Help

Hi All, I am having a trouble in passing special characters to a script. As I am new to bash script I dont know how to go and solve this. mypwd=(a+sdfg!h# if i pass $mypwd to a bash script, it is not accepting "(,!,+ etc". It would be a great help if some one can help to escape these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping non-readable characters using grep, sed or awk

I'm trying to parse out DNS logs from dozens of different domain controllers over a large period of time. The logs are rolled up into individual text files by size, which may contain only a portion of a day's activity or several day's worth (depending on amount of activity). I'm splitting them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanwpaul
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with escaping xml characters in a file

Hi, I have a file xy.csv with the following data separated by pipe (|): BC-NACO|12>ISA43<TEST| A & A INC|FAMOUS'S AL| i need to escape the xml characters as below BC-NACO|12&gt;ISA43&lt;TEST| A &amp; A INC|FAMOUS&apos;S AL| Please advise (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannarajesh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping special characters

I'm attempting a little hack to get grep to highlight (change foreground color to red) a found string. Assuming a target file "test" consisting of the word "albert": My executable "algrep" consists of this: grep $1 $2 | sed "s/$1/\\\033 And when run: algrep al test Produces this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies
page_util_quote(n)					      Parser generator tools						page_util_quote(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_quote - page character quoting utilities SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::quote ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::quote::unquote char ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a few utility commands to convert characters into various forms. API
::page::util::quote::unquote char A character, as stored in an abstract syntax tree by a PEG processor (See the packages grammar::peg::interpreter, grammar::me, and their relations), i.e. in some quoted form, is converted into the equivalent Tcl character. The character is returned as the result of the command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser, will regenerate the character in question and is 7bit ASCII. The string is returned as the result of this command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser and will generate a human readable representation of the character in question. The string is returned as the result of this command. The string does not use any unprintable characters. It may use backslash-quoting. High UTF characters are quoted to avoid problems with the still prevalent ascii terminals. It is assumed that the string will be used in a double-quoted environment. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser when used within a Tcl comment. The string is returned as the result of this command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
page, parser generator, quoting, text processing COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_quote(n)