Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot find TA#105312
Operating Systems SCO Cannot find TA#105312 Post 302365152 by p.vvugt on Monday 26th of October 2009 07:07:06 AM
Old 10-26-2009
The root filesystem was filled up (no space left). So with this procedure I could enter the harddisk and clean some logfiles and/or useless data to make some free space.

Thanks for your tip! I will try it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files older than 20 days & not use find

I need to find files that have the ending of .out and that are older than 20 days. However, I cannot use find as I do not want to search in the directories that are underneath the directory that I am searching in. How can this be done?? Find returns files that I do not want. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: halo98
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

5. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string1, when true find string2 in reverse direction

Hello, This is a bit complicated for me. My scenario in MyFile: Search string1, When string1 is found, grep the line containing string1, go back over that line in upward direction and grep the first line containing string2. Here is an example: MyFile His email address... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
17 Replies
FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)						       fsvs						    FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)

NAME
HOWTO: Backup - This document is a step-by-step explanation how to do backups using FSVS. This document is a step-by-step explanation how to do backups using FSVS. Preparation If you're going to back up your system, you have to decide what you want to have stored in your backup, and what should be left out. Depending on your system usage and environment you first have to decide: o Do you only want to backup your data in /home? o Less storage requirements o In case of hardware crash the OS must be set up again o Do you want to keep track of your configuration in /etc? o Very small storage overhead o Not much use for backup/restore, but shows what has been changed o Or do you want to backup your whole installation, from / on? o Whole system versioned, restore is only a few commands o Much more storage space needed - typically you'd need at least a few GB free space. The next few moments should be spent thinking about the storage space for the repository - will it be on the system harddisk, a secondary or an external harddisk, or even off-site? Note: If you just created a fresh repository, you probably should create the 'default' directory structure for subversion - trunk, branches, tags; this layout might be useful for your backups. The URL you'd use in fsvs would go to trunk. Possibly you'll have to take the available bandwidth into your considerations; a single home directory may be backed up on a 56k modem, but a complete system installation would likely need at least some kind of DSL or LAN. Note: If this is a production box with sparse, small changes, you could take the initial backup on a local harddisk, transfer the directory with some media to the target machine, and switch the URLs. A fair bit of time should go to a small investigation which file patterns and paths you not want to back-up. o Backup files like *.bak, *~, *.tmp, and similar o History files: .sh-history and similar in the home-directories o Cache directories: your favourite browser might store many MB of cached data in you home-directories o Virtual system directories, like /proc and /sys, /dev/shmfs. Telling FSVS what to do Given $WC as the working directory - the base of the data you'd like backed up (/, /home), and $URL as a valid subversion URL to your (already created) repository path. Independent of all these details the first steps look like these: cd $WC fsvs urls $URL Now you have to say what should be ignored - that'll differ depending on your needs/wishes. fsvs ignore './**~' './**.tmp' './**.bak' fsvs ignore ./proc/ ./sys/ ./tmp/ fsvs ignore ./var/tmp/ ./var/spool/lpd/ fsvs ignore './var/log/*.gz' fsvs ignore ./var/run/ /dev/pts/ fsvs ignore './etc/*.dpkg-dist' './etc/*.dpkg-new' fsvs ignore './etc/*.dpkg-old' './etc/*.dpkg-bak' Note: /var/run is for transient files; I've heard reports that reverting files there can cause problems with running programs. Similar for /dev/pts - if that's a devpts filesystem, you'll run into problems on update or revert - as FSVS won't be allowed to create entries in this directory. Now you may find that you'd like to have some files encrypted in your backup - like /etc/shadow, or your .ssh/id_* files. So you tell fsvs to en/decrypt these files: fsvs propset fsvs:commit-pipe 'gpg -er {your backup key}' /etc/shadow /etc/gshadow fsvs propset fsvs:update-pipe 'gpg -d' /etc/shadow /etc/gshadow Note: This are just examples. You'll probably have to exclude some other paths and patterns from your backup, and mark some others as to-be- filtered. The first backup fsvs commit -m 'First commit.' That's all there is to it! Further use and maintenance The further usage is more or less the commit command from the last section. When do you have to do some manual work? o When ignore patterns change. o New filesystems that should be ignored, or would be ignored but shouldn't o You find that your favorite word-processor leaves many *.segv files behind, and similar things o If you get an error message from fsvs, check the arguments and retry. In desperate cases (or just because it's quicker than debugging yourself) ask on dev [at] fsvs.tigris.org. Restoration in a working system Depending on the circumstances you can take different ways to restore data from your repository. o 'fsvs export' allows you to just dump some repository data into your filesystem - eg. into a temporary directory to sort things out. o Using 'fsvs revert' you can get older revisions of a given file, directory or directory tree inplace. o Or you can do a fresh checkout - set an URL in an (empty) directory, and update to the needed revision. o If everything else fails (no backup media with fsvs on it), you can use subversion commands (eg. export) to restore needed parts, and update the rest with fsvs. Recovery for a non-booting system In case of a real emergency, when your harddisks crashed or your filesystem was eaten and you have to re-partition or re-format, you should get your system working again by o booting from a knoppix or some other Live-CD (with FSVS on it), o partition/format as needed, o mount your harddisk partitions below eg. /mnt, o and then recovering by $ cd /mnt $ export FSVS_CONF=/etc/fsvs # if non-standard $ export FSVS_WAA=/var/spool/fsvs # if non-standard $ fsvs checkout -o softroot=/mnt If somebody asks really nice I'd possibly even create a recovery command that deduces the softroot parameter from the current working directory. For more information please take a look at Using an alternate root directory. Feedback If you've got any questions, ideas, wishes or other feedback, please tell us in the mailing list users [at] fsvs.tigris.org. Thank you! Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for fsvs from the source code. Version trunk:2424 11 Mar 2010 FSVS - Backup HOWTO(5)