Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Command output into a variable Post 302365117 by ghp on Monday 26th of October 2009 04:18:44 AM
Old 10-26-2009
popen is unidirectional, closing and reopening will not allow you to establish any decent communication.

Ever heard of named pipes?

Create a named pipe /tmp/cu.in, use it:
file = popen ("cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 < /tmp/cu.in", "r"); //READ

Then you could write to /tmp/cu.in what you want as input for cu, and retrieve the results with fgets.

But you really should be using some kind of inter-process communication, messaging.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output to a variable.

With cut -c 8-13 myfile, I am getting some numeric value. In my shell script I am trying to assign something like this, var=cut -c 8-13 myfile But at the time of execution I am getting -c is not found. If I dont assign, then script executes well. Can we not simply use the value from one... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of command to a variable

Hi, I'm trying to assign the output of a command to a variable and then concat it with another string, however, it keeps overwriting the original string instead of adding on to the end of the string. Contents of test.txt --> This is a test var1="`head -n 1 test.txt`" echo $var1 (This is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oma04
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls command output to variable in script

Hi, I wrote a script to get the oldest file from a directory path (which is passed as a parameter to the script) ######################################################### XMLFILE_PATH={$1} cd $XMLFILE_PATH JPM_FILENAME = `(ls -tr User* | head -1)` #echo $JPM_FILENAME ###### END... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get characters from output of a command in a variable

Hi, i have two questions, I am new to programming 1. I have an output of a command and i want to get some specific part of it in a variable. i am trying sr=`some comand xyz| grep 'Last Changed Rev:' | cut -c19-` now variable sr gets a end of line character at end. output of the command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of a command to variable

When I run time -p <command>, it outputs: real X.XX user X.XX sys X.XXwhere X.XX is seconds. How I can take just that first number output, the seconds of real time, and assign that to a variable? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

saving command output to a variable

Hello, I have a shell script containing a command string in the following format: command1 | command2 | cut -c9-16 The output from this is a record number (using characters 9-16 of the original output string) e.g. ORD-1234 I wish to save this value to a variable for use in later commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: philjo
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable to command output

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I've been trying different methods to try and get what IW as hoping would be a fairly simple script but has turned into a pain. Bit of background - I am writing a script to check values in certain failes to ensure they are corerct. I'm runnign this on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls output into a read command as a variable

I'm working on a short BASH script on my Ubuntu box that will run powerpoint scripts with MS Powerpoint Viewer 2007 via WINE. I can run the presentation when I run it manually but what i'd like to do is have the script look for the newest file then run it. #! /bin/sh # Start the newest... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of find command to variable?

Hi, I'd like to assign the output of the find command to a variable. What I need is to run the find command, and if it returns zero files, the program exits. so i'm trying to assign the output of the find command to the $var1 variable....and then if this is less than one, I echo a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the output of a ISQL command in a variable?

I am trying to run a query which returns a sum value(a number). I want to get it in a variable so that i can refer to that variable in different places. when i am running the following command variable=`isql -Uuser -Sserver -Ppassword 1> select sum(count(*)) from xyz..abc where clm_id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
2 Replies
gdbserver(1)						       GNU Development Tools						      gdbserver(1)

NAME
gdbserver - Remote Server for the GNU Debugger SYNOPSIS
gdbserver tty prog [args...] gdbserver tty --attach PID DESCRIPTION
GDBSERVER is a program that allows you to run GDB on a different machine than the one which is running the program being debugged. Usage (server (target) side): First, you need to have a copy of the program you want to debug put onto the target system. The program can be stripped to save space if needed, as GDBserver doesn't care about symbols. All symbol handling is taken care of by the GDB running on the host system. To use the server, you log on to the target system, and run the `gdbserver' program. You must tell it (a) how to communicate with GDB, (b) the name of your program, and (c) its arguments. The general syntax is: target> gdbserver COMM PROGRAM [ARGS ...] For example, using a serial port, you might say: target> gdbserver /dev/com1 emacs foo.txt This tells gdbserver to debug emacs with an argument of foo.txt, and to communicate with GDB via /dev/com1. Gdbserver now waits patiently for the host GDB to communicate with it. To use a TCP connection, you could say: target> gdbserver host:2345 emacs foo.txt This says pretty much the same thing as the last example, except that we are going to communicate with the host GDB via TCP. The `host:2345' argument means that we are expecting to see a TCP connection from `host' to local TCP port 2345. (Currently, the `host' part is ignored.) You can choose any number you want for the port number as long as it does not conflict with any existing TCP ports on the target system. This same port number must be used in the host GDBs `target remote' command, which will be described shortly. Note that if you chose a port number that conflicts with another service, gdbserver will print an error message and exit. On some targets, gdbserver can also attach to running programs. This is accomplished via the --attach argument. The syntax is: target> gdbserver COMM --attach PID PID is the process ID of a currently running process. It isn't necessary to point gdbserver at a binary for the running process. Usage (host side): You need an unstripped copy of the target program on your host system, since GDB needs to examine it's symbol tables and such. Start up GDB as you normally would, with the target program as the first argument. (You may need to use the --baud option if the serial line is running at anything except 9600 baud.) Ie: `gdb TARGET-PROG', or `gdb --baud BAUD TARGET-PROG'. After that, the only new command you need to know about is `target remote'. It's argument is either a device name (usually a serial device, like `/dev/ttyb'), or a HOST:PORT descriptor. For example: (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyb communicates with the server via serial line /dev/ttyb, and: (gdb) target remote the-target:2345 communicates via a TCP connection to port 2345 on host `the-target', where you previously started up gdbserver with the same port number. Note that for TCP connections, you must start up gdbserver prior to using the `target remote' command, otherwise you may get an error that looks something like `Connection refused'. OPTIONS
You have to supply the name of the program to debug and the tty to communicate on; the remote GDB will do everything else. Any remaining arguments will be passed to the program verbatim. SEE ALSO
`gdb' entry in info; Using GDB: A Guide to the GNU Source-Level Debugger, Richard M. Stallman and Roland H. Pesch, July 1991. COPYING
Copyright (c) 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be included in translations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in the original English. Cygnus Support 2 November 1993 gdbserver(1)