Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX User script folder standard location ? Post 302365021 by Browser_ice on Sunday 25th of October 2009 09:28:56 AM
Old 10-25-2009
User script folder standard location ?

I am starting to accumulate a few scripts that I working on to replace operational scripts and to have a few for my personal usage. I am not an admin, just an operator.

They are currently located inside the /tmp folder. I know they should not be there but since we have no system admin (someone was named for it but has no experience and almost no knowledge at all) and that the system is somewhat left on its own (no one is maintaining it except for system/database upgrades done by an external company), we were never told what the standards are.

The operational scripts we are using have been created like 10+ years ago by someone who has no script/standards knowledge (still doesn't) and hasn't put any validations, protections, support coding, ... at all. They haven't been updated since and are prone to a lot of problems due to operator mistakes. I want to gradually change this, improve and secure them. I am learning scripts to do this (which has been accepted as a project).

To move my scripts into a more secured location, I want to know what are the usual standards related to where user scripts should be located.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

auto change filemanager folder colors dependent on location in directory hierarchy

Hello, Is it possible to make a file manager use different "colored folders" when browsing specific directories? For example, if I open a gnome file manager and browse my windows share at, smb://192.168.1.101/z/ , can I make those folders appear green? And when I open another instance of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bz43
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Copy files from one location to another location

Create a script that copies files from one specified directory to another specified directory, in the order they were created in the original directory between specified times. Copy the files at a specified interval. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell scripting -How to skip User Standard input section from another script

All, problem Description: For example: I have two shell scripts(executables). let name it as script1 and script2.I'm trying to execute script1 from script2. while executing script2, script1 is asking for manual input(input from keyboard). Now i need to know how I can skip this user input... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techie99
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting a standard user, windows share at login

I know how to mount my share via /etc/fstab automatically when the system boots but since I do not have root permission to access the /etc/fstab nor do I think that the system admin wants me to add an entry in /etc/fstab all together. So what file could I add my mount entry in? mount -t cifs... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files in thumbnail folder to a secondary location for Amazon S3

Hello all! I am trying to create a script that will copy files from one location, to another but only folders that are filled with thumbnails to an exact directory replica in the second location. For example: /images/2012/01/19/Event/Photographer/thumbnails to ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buzzman25
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux user location/directoires

Hi, I need to create a user. I know it sounds simple but I'm having a slight issue with it. For example I want to create user1 with home location of /home/projects/user1. I went ahead and created the projects directory using mkdir under /home, and using vi I created the user1 directory under... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi7514
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Folder location interrupted

Have had hidden/interrupted folder. It is on a NTFS-partition I use for OS and Bootcamp. I think that the problem is a HFS+ problem. I happened with all the folder which had a slash "/" in their folder name. So for example I had the folder "test/rand". Recently it disappeared from finder. In... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sceltecs
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from various folders to similar folder structure in another location

Hi, I need to write a script the has to copy the files from folders and subfolders to the same folder structure located in another location. Ex: mainfolder1 file1,file2,file3 subfolder1(file1,etc) subfolder2(file1,etc) to another folder location of same folder structure. rsync is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raji Perumal
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Cannot set 'soft limits' for 'maximum stack size' for a standard user

Hi Guys, I'm trying to install Oracle Database on to Oracle Linux 7.6 but when the database install package checks the OS set-up, it keeps on failing on the soft limits for the stack. It's default value is 8192 but I'm trying to set it to 10240. This is what I added to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
2 Replies
INSTALLSIEVE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   INSTALLSIEVE(1)

NAME
installsieve - user utility for managing sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
installsieve DESCRIPTION
installsieve is a utility that allows users to manage their sieve scripts kept on the server. OPTIONS
-v <name> View script with the given name. The script if retrieved sucessfully is output to standard output. -l List all of the scripts currently on the server. If one of the scripts is active a arrow is printed indicating that it is the active script. -p <port> Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to "sieve" as defined in /etc/services. -i <file> Install a file onto the server. If a script with the same name already exists on the server it is overwritten. Upon sucessfully putting the script on the server the script is set active. If <file> has the extension .script it is chopped when put on the server since sieve names may not contain a '.'. -a <name> Set <name> as the active script. The list of available names can be obtained from the '-l' option.. -d <name> Delete the sieve script on the server with <name>. -m <mechanism> Force installsieve to use <mechanism> for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism is chosen. -g <name> Get the sieve script with <name> and save it to disk with a ".script" extension. If a file with that name already exists it is overwritten. -u <user> Userid/Authname to use for authentication; by default, the current user. CMU
Project Cyrus INSTALLSIEVE(1)