Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check whether the value changes or not! Post 302364949 by TehOne on Saturday 24th of October 2009 04:30:47 PM
Old 10-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus_kosaman
HI all,

I need help in writing a shell script for the following logic

I have a file abc.txt and it contains a number x. The number in the file abc.txt changes every day. I need to develop a shell script which on every run checks the number in the file and increments a variable by 1 if a new number is found( if the number doesnt change the variable will not increment by 1).

Can any one help me out in this. Thanks!

How often do you want to run the check? You could either use a corntab script and a temp file or leave a script running a looping the check....

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to check for a file, check for 2hrs. then quit

I wish to seach a Dir for a specific file, once the file is found i will perform additional logic. If the file is not found within two hours, i would like to exit. Logically, I'm looking for the best way to approach this Thanks for any assistance in advance. Note: I'm using a C shell and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmarsh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any way to check if some ip is taken ?

hello is there any tool in unix that will indicate if some ip is already taken by other machine? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check if another script is running and if so, then sleep for sometime and check again

Hi, I am a unix newbie. I need to write a script to check wheteher another script is still running. If it is, then sleep for 30m and then check again if the script is running. If the script has stopped running then, I need to come out of the loop. I am using RHEL 5.2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathews
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if it's there

Dear, I want to check if the file in the if code is there, but I don't know how to do it? if Can someone assist me please? Thanks! kopie() { echo " Geef de naam van bestand + plaats vanwaar gekopieerd moet worden en waarnaar : " echo -n " Plaats : " read plaats ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadeki
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check in and check out comments

Hi Do you know how can I get all check in and check out comments for a period of time with Surround SCM CLI ---------- Post updated at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:56 AM ---------- Do you have NAnt tasks that allow us to access Evolution from an NAnt build script? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to check date and check files in particular dir

Hi Experts, I am checking how to get day in Perl. If it is “Monday” I need to process…below is the pseudo code. Can you please prove the code for below condition. if (today=="Monday" ) { while (current_time LESS THAN 9:01 AM) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check

echo "2012-12-26--14.8224 2012-12-27--14.2898 2012-12-28--14.9180 2012-12-29--13.3637 2012-12-30--13.7091" the set of numbers i provided above is separated by spaces. how do i count how many sets there are? i tried: echo "2012-12-26--14.8224 2012-12-27--14.2898 2012-12-28--14.9180... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adkpqr] [-F pipe] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, do not sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -F pipe Immediately flush output after each write. This will allow a user to create a named pipe using mkfifo(1) and another user may watch the live session using a utility like cat(1). -k Log keys sent to the program as well as output. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start, stop and command status messages. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. -t time Specify the interval at which the script output file will be flushed to disk, in seconds. A value of 0 causes script to flush after every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are utilized by script: SCRIPT The SCRIPT environment variable is added to the sub-shell. If SCRIPT already existed in the users environment, its value is overwrit- ten within the sub-shell. The value of SCRIPT is the name of the typescript file. SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. The -d, -p and -r options first appeared in NetBSD 2.0 and were ported to FreeBSD 9.2. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when the terminal is in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. If script reads zero bytes from the terminal, it switches to a mode when it only attempts to read once a second until there is data to read. This prevents script from spinning on zero-byte reads, but might cause a 1-second delay in processing of user input. BSD
December 4, 2013 BSD