Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep within while read loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep within while read loop Post 302364807 by vidyadhar85 on Saturday 24th of October 2009 04:03:32 AM
Old 10-24-2009
why are you placing single quotes???
Code:
grep "$addr" mlist;

this is enough... because i don't see any single quotes in your search string..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read inside a while loop

Hi all, In a while loop, like below... while read line do read choice case $choice in 1) echo "xxx" esac done < file why I can't run the read choice???? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dta4316
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help : while read loop

hi all, Can you please help me with this issue ? while ####infinite loop do cat file1 |while read var1 var2 do func1 $var1 $var2 done cat file2 | while read var11 var22 do func2 $var11 $var22 done done func1 is called till all the values are read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navatha
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line in a for loop

Hi All, How can we use read line using the index value of a FOR loop? eg: pt_mstr,pt_status,8 pt_mstr,pt_buyer,8 pt_mstr,pt_sfty_stk,8 pt_mstr,pt_ord_pol,3 pt_mstr,pt_capacity,8 pt_mstr,pt_plan_ord,3 pt_mstr,pt_ord_mult,8 From this file i want to read the line2, 3 and 4 only using a FOR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajim
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with for loop with while read

Hello, The code below pulls printer information from a three-column file (set by the ${MULTIFILE} variable at the end), that has the printer queue name, IP, and type of printer. It is supposed to use this info to add the printers in the list to one, or more servers . The input file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read line loop

Hi I'm writing a bash script which will read an input file and look for occurrences of the current user ($USER) executing the script. When i find the occurrence of the username I take that line and append it to a file with a line number and bracket display next to line. The input file has been... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: BundBash
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

until loop and read

Hi guys what I wanna do is to create a script where can I input several times a file - assume with read function that will be inserted into a temp. file for further processing. When I press q I want that the loop will stop and continue in my script I typed this but the options q is not working... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read statement within while read loop

hi, this is my script #!/bin/ksh cat temp_file.dat | while read line do read test if ]; then break else echo "ERROR" fi done when i execute this code , the script does wait for the user input . it directly prints "ERROR" and terminates after the no. of times as there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva1612
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with while read loop

Hey all, Tried searching the forums but my search-fu may not be strong today; please feel free to redirect me if I have simply missed a post that would be helpful! Trying to create a while loop that reads a list of configuration files, checks for a line that starts with "SOME_CMD" and ends... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdwyer
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure: if grep "$Var" "$line" inside while read line loop

Hi everybody, I am new at Unix/Bourne shell scripting and with my youngest experiences, I will not become very old with it :o My code: #!/bin/sh set -e set -u export IFS= optl="Optl" LOCSTORCLI="/opt/lsi/storcli/storcli" ($LOCSTORCLI /c0 /vall show | grep RAID | cut -d " "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subsonic66
5 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)