Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting moving files and creating a link to it Post 302364777 by Scott on Friday 23rd of October 2009 08:52:34 PM
Old 10-23-2009
Hi.

As a starting point:

Code:
cd /dir/mount1
tar cf - application | (cd ../mount2; tar xf -)
find application -type f | while read FILE; do
   rm "$FILE"
   ln -s ../mount2/"$FILE" "$FILE"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a link

Hi All, Suppose i have a directory called /home/rooh and I have an executable that writes to this directory. the size of /home/rooh/logs is quite small and thus blows out of space. I don't want to modify the executable but I want to create a link so that all the logs are moved there . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating symbolic link

Any idea how to create a symbolic link...for example i want to create a symbolink link for a specific user in his profile to use the df command...? Thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating link to new vim

Hi, I have installed vim 7 but I'm unsure how to point the 'vim' command to the new vim version rather than version 6. Thanks in advance. Michael (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

6. Solaris

creating link for a file of remote server

Hi, I use to access a file on remote server. Can I create a link for this file present on remote server on my local server, if yes then please let me know. Thanx in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Odd while Creating Symbolic Link

Hi, # mkdir usr3 # ls -l /h/uxossolbld10/0/teamcity/agent total 8 drwxrwxr-x 14 test1 rdl 512 Nov 30 02:54 conf drwxrwxr-x 3 test1 rdl 512 Jun 24 14:21 scripts drwxrwxr-x 10 test1 rdl 512 Jun 3 2011 teamcity drwxrwxr-x 4 test1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Divakar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating hard link with name

How can I create a hard link to a file, then rename the hard link to a different name? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhill2
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving the target of a symbolic link

Hello all, On a Solaris box, I am trying to move the target of a symbolic link. Let's say the symbolic link looks like the following: /dir1/dir2/link -> /some/dir/target I would like to know of a simple way to move the target of the symbolic link and not the link itself. I'd like to move... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
4 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)