Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Create file and then change the extension case. Post 302364586 by Kdenmen on Friday 23rd of October 2009 12:42:26 PM
Old 10-23-2009
I still cant manage, because I am relatively new and never done any scripts.

Maybe someone will help me a bit.

I found this, but I need to get the results I described in my first post.

Thanks ahead.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

usage () {
    echo
    echo "Usage: `basename $0` <search dir> <old ext> <new ext>"
    echo
}

if [ -z "$3" ]; then
    usage
    exit 1
fi

OLDEXT=${2/#.}
NEWEXT=${3/#.}

find "${1}" -iname "*.${OLDEXT}" |
while read F
do
  NEWFILE="${F/%${OLDEXT}/${NEWEXT}}"
  echo "mv \"${F}\" \"${NEWFILE}\""
  mv -f "${F}" "${NEWFILE}"
done 

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with multiple file rename - change case of part of file name

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this problem : I have a directory (/var/www/file/imgprofil) which contains about 10000 JPG files. They have a naming convention thus : prefix-date-key-suffix.jpg they all have the prefix p-20050608- then AAAA is a 4 letter code the suffix is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve7
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file extension from root and subdirectories

Hello, my first post! I'd appreciate help with this script, I'm new to this. I have a media directory where I want to batch convert image file names from .img to .iso. I've tried but get: $ ./img2iso2.sh ./img2iso2.sh: line 13: syntax error: unexpected end of file :( This is my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrid
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match the last XML extension by using Case statement

Hi All, I have a status.txt file which contains following three files. 1.xml 2.xml 3.xml Now i have written a shell script 1.sh which contains the following cat status.txt | while read filename do echo $filename case "$filename" in xml) echo "running 1.xml" ;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to rename or change file extension case.

I searched the forum, but there was different type of rename. Hello. I have files in folder. Like: xxxxxxxx1.html or xxxxxxxx2.txt or xxxxxxxx3.tar.gz and how to rename or change file extension case to xxxxxxxx1.htm or xxxxxxx2.TXT or (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheldon
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to change the extension of a file

I have a directory that contains several files, out of which some files are have an extra extension for example file1.new.new.new file2.new.new.new file3.new.new.new file4.new.new.new i want to write a shell script that rename all such file with only single extension like file1.new... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change file extension

Hi Guys, i am trying to redirect a file wherein i need to change the extension of the file from .sh to .tmp, but getting an error a=test.txt sh test.txt > path/$(basename "$a" .sh).tmp i need test.tmp ---------- Post updated at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create sub directories from specific file extension

In the bash below I am trying to create sub-directories inside a directory from files with specific .bam extensions. There may be more then one $RDIR ing the directory and the .bam file(s) are trimmed (removing the extension and IonCode_0000_) and the result is the folder name that is saved in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)