Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Best practices for Source control Post 302364568 by chvs2000 on Friday 23rd of October 2009 11:11:06 AM
Old 10-23-2009
Best practices for Source control

Hi all,
i am trying to incorporate source control management in my project. We have about 50 - 60 shell scripts on 3 different machines dev, stag and production, but there is no source control.

All the files have to be located at specific locations on each machine for it to work

I want to know whats the best practice to put this project into source control.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting Best Practices

Hi - I am new to this and was wondering if some of you can help me out. I am just starting to write scripts and need some guidelines on creating scripts. I'm calling them "Best Practices"...what should I do and not do when creating scripts. All I know so far is that I should avoid putting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: toddjameslane
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

emergency shutdown best practices.

Has anyone implemented or have suggestions on how to shutdown many remote unix/linux servers from a single script initiated from 1 server? I need this to execute in parallel as time is not on my side. Our ups is sadly underrated and will die in approximately 15 minutes. (There is not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsw371
10 Replies

3. Solaris

Best practices

Dear all, Kinda lame question but i'd like to hear your experiences and advice. Question in short ----------------- What permission should a mount point "ideally" have - i think it's root. Ex:- /usr/app/ i'd set the app to be owned by root and within /usr/app i would create another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
1 Replies

4. Linux

Virtualization best practices

Hello admins and gurus I have a controversial topic: now we are investing in a new Linux OS that will hold our Sybase database. The server will virtualized on a VMware server hosted on SAN storage. Now the question is, when we install the database engine is it better - in terms of performance -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. Any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. A versioned Pre-Dependency on dpkg is needed to use dpkg-maintscript-helper(1). An appropriate Pre-Dependency is set in ${misc:Pre-Depends} ; you should make sure to put that token into an appropriate place in your debian/control file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 9.20120909 2011-09-12 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)