Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove a path from PATH environment variable Post 302364403 by madhu84 on Friday 23rd of October 2009 02:03:22 AM
Old 10-23-2009
New code didn't work on SUN INTEL machine

I have created a shell script file test.sh with the below code

Code:
set -x
rmv="test/rmve"
PATH=$(echo $PATH| sed -e 's!'$rmv'!!' -e 's/::/:/')
echo "PATH:" $PATH
export PATH

When I run the script, it reported the below error

Code:
# . ./test.sh
syntax error: `PATH=$' unexpected

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set?

Hi, How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set? I want to add "/opt/SUNWspro/bin" to the search path for all the users. Where can I access this variable. I know in my home directory, depend on which shell I use, there are files such as .profile and .cshrc which I can edit to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path Environment Variable

Hi..... I'm kind of new to c programming in Unix...need help here. Supposed to write a source code to support Path environment variable for my programming assignment for Spring semester. but i'm kind of stuck. Could anyone out there assist me? prompt> /bin/ls My program could output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tancy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

:: in PATH environment variable

whats the meaning of :: colon in PATH environment? /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/gnu/bin::.:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin and whats the meaning of // in PATH ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path Environment

How do we change path environment? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehmetned
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

PATH environment variable

PATH is an environment variable. When I open a terminal say terminal 1 and set some path in PATH variable it gets set which I can see using ech $PATH. But when I open a new terminal say terminal 2 and fire echo $PATH why cannot I see the same output as seen in terminal terminal 1? Why the path... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function to remove the directories from PATH variable

Hello, From the URL https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/121303-remove-path-path-environment-variable-2.html I got a function to remove the directories from a path. but looks like this isnt quite working.. i am also not able to post the comments in the thread as it is closed. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishkumar432
6 Replies
PERLUTS(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						PERLUTS(1)

NAME
perluts - Perl under UTS SYNOPSIS
This document can be read as is: as README.uts, or you can read it after you build your package using "man perluts". The purpose is to help you build Perl for UTS, which, if you follow these instructions, should be easy, and result in a solidly working installation. DESCRIPTION
Perl 5.7.2 (Developmental) or Perl 5.8.x (forthcoming) for UTS BUILDING PERL ON UTS
NOTE: Some sites have redefined the way uname works, and if yours does this, special steps must be taken so that Configure can recognize your system as a UTS system. To see if you are in this category, issue the command "uname -a". It should look something like: uts juno 4 4.4 9672 370 At any rate, the first field should be "uts". If this is not the case; supposing it is, say telcoUTS, create a script, uts/uname (i.e. uname, in the subdirectory "uts" of the main Perl source dir): # uname /usr/bin/uname "$@" | sed -e 's/^telcoUTS/uts/' and when you execute Configure, do it as below, except for adding PATH=uts:$PATH as a prefix. I.e. do: PATH=uts:$PATH ./Configure ... There is no need to do an interactive configure, just type ./Configure -de [-Dusedevel] [-Doptimize=-g ] 2>&1 | tee Conf.out "-Dusedevel" may be required to configure Perl 5.7.2 non-interactively. Use -Doptimize=-g if you want to run Perl under sdb or gdb, OR if you want to be able to use the -D command line flags to perl, which are occasionally useful in debugging perl scripts. In this and the following steps, the "2>&1 | tee XXX.out" records all output from the process, which will be useful if anything unexpected goes wrong. Then do the compilation with make 2>&1 | tee make.out Finally, test using make test 2>&1 | tee make-test.out In the output, the only failures you should see should look like: lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigfltpm.........Use of uninitialized value ... FAILED at test 57 lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigintc..........ok lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigintpm.........FAILED at test 204 lib/Math/BigInt/t/mbimbf...........Use of uninitialized value ... Illegal division by zero at ../lib/Math/BigInt/Calc.pm line 314. FAILED at test 71 lib/Math/Complex...................exp: OVERFLOW FAILED at test 250 lib/Math/Trig......................exp: OVERFLOW ok lib/Memoize/t/array................ok ... lib/Net/protoent...................ok lib/Net/servent....................FAILED at test 0 This means that everything passes except for some problems in the packages "Math::BigInt", "Math::Complex", and "Math::Trig". The lib/Net/servent failure seems to be a bug in the test program. To confirm this, from the main Perl source dir, do: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ./perl -Ilib lib/Net/servent.t and it should output 1..3 ok 1 ok 2 ok 3 Installing the built perl on UTS Run the command "make install" AUTHOR
Hal Morris UTS Global LLC email: hom00@utsglobal.com perl v5.16.3 2013-03-04 PERLUTS(1)