Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find out if few fields in a file are null Post 302364312 by cfajohnson on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 03:53:25 PM
Old 10-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx
Code:
awk -F\| '{$1=$2=$NF=""}'1 urfile

That assigns an empty string to those fields; it doesn't tell whether they are empty.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find null fields in file

Hi All, I have some csv files out of which i want to find records which have empty values in either the 14th or 16th fields. The following is a sample. $cut -d',' -f14,16 SPS* | head -5 VOIP_ORIG_INFO,VOIP_DEST_INFO sip:445600709315@sip.com,sip:999@sip.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 3 fields with null in the file

Hi, I have a file with 104 columns delimited by comma. I have to replace fields 4,5 and 19 with null values and after replacing the columns in the file , the file should be still comma delimited. I am new to shell scripting, Experts please help me out. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vukkusila
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude records with null fields

Hi, can I do something like this to add a condition of checking if the 4th field is number or space or blank also: awk -F, '$4 /^*||*/' MYFILE >> OTHERFILE I also want the other part i.e. I need to exclude all lines whose 4th field is space or blank or number: MYFILE a,b,c,d,e a,b,c,2,r... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenK_Dudala
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find null column

Hi, everyone I have a requirement as following: source file 1, abc, def, caaa 2, , cde, aaa 3, bcd, , adefefg I need find columns which contains null value, in above example, I need get two rows 2, , cde, aaa 3, bcd, , adefefg anybody has idea how to achive this ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aligning output with null fields in shell script

Hello Gurus ! I have what probably amounts to a few simply changes to fix; however for the life of me I cannot seem to get it ti work. I need to align the output of my script (I am writing to a logfile)... here's the lines in my code: if then echo "NODE: $node" >> $logfile... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find for line with not null values at nth place in pipe delimited file

Hi, I am trying to find the lines in a pipe delimited file where 11th column has not null values. Any help is appreciated. Need help asap please. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manikms
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find fields from one file in the other file

I need to find (basically, grep) matching lines ignoring the first field from file1: field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field6 id1 carrot white small id2 carrot id3 potato black id4 potato in file2: field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field6 num1 carrot white ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coppuca
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the null member or blank in the text file?

Hello All, I am new to unix scripting and wanted to know, is it possible if we find any null value or blank record in the text file. For example we have a text file with only one column and there are 90 records. But some times we will have a null value or blank row record in the text file. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram11111
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fields shifting in file, do to null values?

The below code runs and creates an output file with three sections. The first 2 sections are ok, but the third section doesn't seem to put a . in all the fields that are blank. I don't know if this is what causes the last two fields in the current output to shift to a newline, but I can not seem... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find record having null value

Hi All My requirement is to find the null values in particular column of a file and reject it in case if it contains null values. But the challenge is that I want a common command which can be used across different file, as the position of the column we need to check for different file may get... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
14 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)