Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Data Transfers Lock System Up Completely Post 302364291 by Corona688 on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 02:36:23 PM
Old 10-22-2009
First I would see if the providers of the RT and SMP extensions have a newer kernel yet, and whether the issues persist in it. No sense reporting bugs already fixed.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

System not starting completely

I have an Ultra 60, running Solaris 5.8. During boot all of a sudden it dies after Yp comes up then the netmasks are set and then I don't see anything any more. How do I tell whats causing it to hang at this point. I can login to it but can't tell what preocess is hung. /var/adm/messages has no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to release package administration lock for this system

Hi, I created a Solaris package, but at the end of installation (on a Solaris 10 sparc) I get : #pkgadd -d MyApp_version__SunOS_sparc.pkg ... Installation of <MyAppName> was successful. pkgadd: ERROR: ERROR: Unable to release package administration lock for this system; try again later... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does netcat manage the data it transfers ?

Hi all, When using netcat to transfer the data over socket, if no connection is established, how long will netcat keep the data; will it discard the "oldest" data ? Say for example I use "Some Command | netcat -l -p port", the command I use will generate a lot of output constantly, while no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Help me to lock my system.

Hi All! I am not able to lock my Ubuntu 12.04 LXDE. Can anybody tell me the shortcut to lock the system. I have tried all conventional keyboard shortcuts as well as buttons. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQLLDR :Data not loaded completely

Hi , I am using below control file LOAD DATA APPEND INTO TABLE LSHADMIN.EG TRAILING NULLCOLS ( STUDY CHAR ) and the text file to load data is CACZ885M2301 When I run below command: sqlldr userid=apps/apps control=/home/appsuser/dataload/ctl_file.ctl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
3 Replies
unix_master(9r) 														   unix_master(9r)

NAME
unix_master - General: Forces execution onto the master CPU SYNOPSIS
void unix_master( void ); ARGUMENTS
None DESCRIPTION
The unix_master routine forces execution of the kernel thread onto the master CPU (also called the boot CPU). In other words, unix_master binds the kernel thread to the master CPU. To release the kernel thread from the bind to the master CPU, call the unix_release routine. You can make recursive calls to unix_master as long as you make an equal number of calls to unix_release. The unix_master routine provides another way besides the simple and complex lock routines to make a kernel module symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) safe. Although calling unix_master is not optimal for performance on an SMP CPU, it does provide third-party kernel module writers with an easy way to make their modules SMP safe without using the lock routines. NOTES
Device drivers should not directly call the unix_master and unix_release routines. One exception to this recommendation is when you want a device driver's kernel threads to run only on the master CPU. This situation occurs when your driver creates and starts its own kernel threads and you set the d_funnel member of the associated dsent structure to the value DEV_FUNNEL. In this case, each kernel thread must call unix_master once to ensure that the kernel thread runs only on the master CPU. Remember to make a corresponding call to unix_release. CAUTIONS
To avoid deadlock, do not call the unix_master routine under the following circumstances: When holding a simple lock In the driver's inter- rupt service routine RETURN VALUES
None SEE ALSO
routines: unix_release(9r) unix_master(9r)