Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Data Transfers Lock System Up Completely Post 302364288 by deckard on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 02:28:01 PM
Old 10-22-2009
A Breakthrough... Sorta

I booted up with the installation DVD and went into "rescue mode". I then activated the volume group for the root filesystem, mounted root and chrooted so that I essentially have the same system as when I boot normally. The only difference is the kernel. I tried rsync and ssh for tests again and this time they worked. The kernel from the installation DVD is linux-2.6.28-11-generic and my normal kernel is linux-2.6.28-3-rt with SMP and RT optimizations.

So I used aptitude to install linux-2.6.28-11-generic kernel and headers and rebooted. The transfers now work. However, in the long run, this is not ideal since I need the RT optimizations for composing music and SMP optimizations wouldn't hurt for audio and video work. So now I need to see if I can narrow the problem down a bit more to see if I can file a bug report. Anyone know how to do that in Ubuntu land? Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

System not starting completely

I have an Ultra 60, running Solaris 5.8. During boot all of a sudden it dies after Yp comes up then the netmasks are set and then I don't see anything any more. How do I tell whats causing it to hang at this point. I can login to it but can't tell what preocess is hung. /var/adm/messages has no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to release package administration lock for this system

Hi, I created a Solaris package, but at the end of installation (on a Solaris 10 sparc) I get : #pkgadd -d MyApp_version__SunOS_sparc.pkg ... Installation of <MyAppName> was successful. pkgadd: ERROR: ERROR: Unable to release package administration lock for this system; try again later... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does netcat manage the data it transfers ?

Hi all, When using netcat to transfer the data over socket, if no connection is established, how long will netcat keep the data; will it discard the "oldest" data ? Say for example I use "Some Command | netcat -l -p port", the command I use will generate a lot of output constantly, while no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Help me to lock my system.

Hi All! I am not able to lock my Ubuntu 12.04 LXDE. Can anybody tell me the shortcut to lock the system. I have tried all conventional keyboard shortcuts as well as buttons. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQLLDR :Data not loaded completely

Hi , I am using below control file LOAD DATA APPEND INTO TABLE LSHADMIN.EG TRAILING NULLCOLS ( STUDY CHAR ) and the text file to load data is CACZ885M2301 When I run below command: sqlldr userid=apps/apps control=/home/appsuser/dataload/ctl_file.ctl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
3 Replies
extlinux(1)						      General Commands Manual						       extlinux(1)

NAME
extlinux - install the SYSLINUX bootloader on a ext2/ext3 filesystem SYNOPSIS
extlinux [options] directory DESCRIPTION
EXTLINUX is a new syslinux derivative, which boots from a Linux ext2/ext3 filesystem. It works the same way as SYSLINUX, with a few slight modifications. It is intended to simplify first-time installation of Linux, and for creation of rescue and other special-purpose boot disks. The installer is designed to be run on a mounted directory. For example, if you have an ext2 or ext3 usb key mounted on /mnt, you can run the following command: extlinux --install /mnt OPTIONS
-H, --heads=# Force the number of heads. -i, --install Install over the current bootsector. -O, --clear-once Clear the boot-once command. -o, --once=command Execute a command once upon boot. -M, --menu-save=label Set the label to select as default on the next boot -r, --raid Fall back to the next device on boot failure. --reset-adv Reset auxiliary data. -S, --sectors=# Force the number of sectors per track. -U, --update Updates a previous EXTLINUX installation. -z, --zip Force zipdrive geometry (-H 64 -S 32). FILES
The extlinux configuration file needs to be named extlinux.conf and needs to be stored in the extlinux installation directory. For more information about the contents of extlinux.conf, see syslinux(1) manpage, section files. BUGS
I would appreciate hearing of any problems you have with SYSLINUX. I would also like to hear from you if you have successfully used SYS- LINUX, especially if you are using it for a distribution. If you are reporting problems, please include all possible information about your system and your BIOS; the vast majority of all problems reported turn out to be BIOS or hardware bugs, and I need as much information as possible in order to diagnose the problems. There is a mailing list for discussion among SYSLINUX users and for announcements of new and test versions. To join, send a message to majordomo@linux.kernel.org with the line: SEE ALSO
syslinux(1) SYSLINUX for ext2/ext3 filesystem 18 December 2007 extlinux(1)