Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Data Transfers Lock System Up Completely Post 302364288 by deckard on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 02:28:01 PM
Old 10-22-2009
A Breakthrough... Sorta

I booted up with the installation DVD and went into "rescue mode". I then activated the volume group for the root filesystem, mounted root and chrooted so that I essentially have the same system as when I boot normally. The only difference is the kernel. I tried rsync and ssh for tests again and this time they worked. The kernel from the installation DVD is linux-2.6.28-11-generic and my normal kernel is linux-2.6.28-3-rt with SMP and RT optimizations.

So I used aptitude to install linux-2.6.28-11-generic kernel and headers and rebooted. The transfers now work. However, in the long run, this is not ideal since I need the RT optimizations for composing music and SMP optimizations wouldn't hurt for audio and video work. So now I need to see if I can narrow the problem down a bit more to see if I can file a bug report. Anyone know how to do that in Ubuntu land? Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

System not starting completely

I have an Ultra 60, running Solaris 5.8. During boot all of a sudden it dies after Yp comes up then the netmasks are set and then I don't see anything any more. How do I tell whats causing it to hang at this point. I can login to it but can't tell what preocess is hung. /var/adm/messages has no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to release package administration lock for this system

Hi, I created a Solaris package, but at the end of installation (on a Solaris 10 sparc) I get : #pkgadd -d MyApp_version__SunOS_sparc.pkg ... Installation of <MyAppName> was successful. pkgadd: ERROR: ERROR: Unable to release package administration lock for this system; try again later... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does netcat manage the data it transfers ?

Hi all, When using netcat to transfer the data over socket, if no connection is established, how long will netcat keep the data; will it discard the "oldest" data ? Say for example I use "Some Command | netcat -l -p port", the command I use will generate a lot of output constantly, while no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Help me to lock my system.

Hi All! I am not able to lock my Ubuntu 12.04 LXDE. Can anybody tell me the shortcut to lock the system. I have tried all conventional keyboard shortcuts as well as buttons. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQLLDR :Data not loaded completely

Hi , I am using below control file LOAD DATA APPEND INTO TABLE LSHADMIN.EG TRAILING NULLCOLS ( STUDY CHAR ) and the text file to load data is CACZ885M2301 When I run below command: sqlldr userid=apps/apps control=/home/appsuser/dataload/ctl_file.ctl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
3 Replies
extlinux(1)						      General Commands Manual						       extlinux(1)

NAME
extlinux - install the SYSLINUX bootloader on a ext2/ext3 filesystem SYNOPSIS
extlinux [options] directory DESCRIPTION
EXTLINUX is a new syslinux derivative, which boots from a Linux ext2/ext3 filesystem. It works the same way as SYSLINUX, with a few slight modifications. It is intended to simplify first-time installation of Linux, and for creation of rescue and other special-purpose boot disks. The installer is designed to be run on a mounted directory. For example, if you have an ext2 or ext3 usb key mounted on /mnt, you can run the following command: extlinux --install /mnt OPTIONS
-H, --heads=# Force the number of heads. -i, --install Install over the current bootsector. -O, --clear-once Clear the boot-once command. -o, --once=command Execute a command once upon boot. -r, --raid Fall back to the next device on boot failure. --reset-adv Reset auxiliary data. -S, --sectors=# Force the number of sectors per track. -U, --update Updates a previous EXTLINUX installation. -z, --zip Force zipdrive geometry (-H 64 -S 32). BUGS
I would appreciate hearing of any problems you have with SYSLINUX. I would also like to hear from you if you have successfully used SYS- LINUX, especially if you are using it for a distribution. If you are reporting problems, please include all possible information about your system and your BIOS; the vast majority of all problems reported turn out to be BIOS or hardware bugs, and I need as much information as possible in order to diagnose the problems. There is a mailing list for discussion among SYSLINUX users and for announcements of new and test versions. To join, send a message to majordomo@linux.kernel.org with the line: SEE ALSO
syslinux(1) SYSLINUX for ext2/ext3 filesystem 18 December 2007 extlinux(1)