Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: where alias saved?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers where alias saved? Post 302364258 by rhfrommn on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 12:19:02 PM
Old 10-22-2009
Depends on exactly which OS you're using I think. I know in Solaris for ksh there's your own ksrhc file but also a system profile that everybody gets. There is probably a system-wide one on your server as well giving you those extra aliases which are not in your personal bashrc. However, I can't tell you exactly where that is from the info you've given.

Usually something like that would be stored in /etc somewhere. Try looking around in /etc and some of its subdirectories. Maybe run a grep alias * in /etc and see what files it finds.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

only root's crontab gets not saved

Hi, Something funny is happening over here: when a regular user edits his cron-file (crontab -e) saves and exits vi the correct new cron-file gets installed and saved to disk. But if root does the same, vi saves it but if I then check the cron-file it has the previous contents! I did strace (==... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flok
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sudo file not saved

Hi all, I have edited my sudoers file. I am using visudo command I have added the following lines and saved the file. I am saving the lines as :wq But I am very amazed to see that these lines are not written in the sudoers file. I have retried the above process many times, when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I identify the last saved log?

Our system produce logs when a script is run which may not be daily, the logs have a format: name_YYMMDD.log - both name and .log are consistent, date changes as per the day the script is run. Is there a way of finding the last saved log? (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
20 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Bluefish: where are the preferences saved?

I have just tried out Bluefish as an alternative to my regular text editor. If I save the modified preferences and reboot, the preferences have to be reentered again. Does anyone know which file the preferences are saved in? The command find / -mmin -5 | grep bluefish yields zero hits. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script Not getting Saved

Hi , Script File Is Not Getting Saved This Are The Steps I Am Following For Saving And Executing A Script 1). vi ( To Open Vi Editor ) 2). vi filename ( vi firstprog.ksh) #!bin\kash date 3) !wq :( Saving And Quit) When I Am Saving The Scrpit I Am Getting The Below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Aliases not getting saved in OK prompt

Hi Guys, After setting below paths: ok nvalias rootdisk /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/disk@0,0:a ok nvalias rootmirror /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/disk@1,0:a ok nvstore to check: ok devalias devailas does show set path but after reboot The alias for disks are not getting saved. I get this error:-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Squares in saved code

can you help i am merging 2 files together and saving to a third file with awk and its working with this code awk 'OFS="";NR==FNR{a=$0;next} {print a,"\n","\b",$0}' file1 file2 > file3the problem is in file3 when its saved i get a small square at the start of every 2nd line (see picture) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot access saved file

This may be wrong place to ask. I am currently modifying "stock" configuration file and making slow progress. Run into a snag - twice so far. I can work on the project switching from editing to run all day long, no issue. Next day i cannot access the file to run it. The file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
alias(4)							   File Formats 							  alias(4)

NAME
alias - alias table file of encoding names SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/iconv/alias DESCRIPTION
This file contains the alias table of encoding names for iconv_open(3C). The format of the alias table is as follows: "%s %s ", <variant encoding name>, <canonical encoding name> The string specified for the variant encoding name is case-insensitive. A line beginning with '#' is treated as a comment. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
iconv(3C), iconv_close(3C), iconv_open(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2001 alias(4)