Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat add lvm space from a regular partition Post 302364033 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 11:50:06 PM
Old 10-22-2009
Two comments:

1. You can use the partprobe utility after fdisk to update the kernel partition information.

2. You do not need to create a filesystem before using pvcreate.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to add aditional space on an exsisting Linux Partition..

Hi, I need to add more space to an exsisting /u partition by adding an additional physical drive, so that the additional space is added in continuation to the exsisting /u diskspace. Is it possible...if yes....how do I go about it. Thanks, Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitsayshii
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Increase root partition in LVM

I have a RHEL6 guest running on vmware esx server and the root disk size is 30G and i increased the disk size and create another partition /dev/sda3 but i do not know how to increase the size of the VG and then intrun LV .. can anyone help me on this . fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. Linux

Creating /boot partition for LVM VG

Hi, I have a server booted into sysresccd (mini-linux OS) with 1 40 GB disk attached I am trying to create a volume group and restore another server into the new one However, when I try to create a partition for /boot it seems that my VG in LVM is not recognized anymore These are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Removing encrypted lvm partition

Hi guys, let me start by saying I appreciate your assistance always. I was practicing how to encrypt partitions in my server. I encrypted an lvm partition using luks and when I tried to remove the partition using lvremove, I get this message Logical volume vg10/lvol1 is used by another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Linux partition with LVM

Hi, I need a suggesstion i have 2 disk if i installed OS / root partition by making Lvm in one disk and data in other disk also with the lvm, means 2 different lvms. Is making LVM partition for OS disk will the performacne will be good? Can i make 2 different lvm one is for OS and other for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

LVM based partition

Hi , Background : I am installing the KVM based RHEL OS VM on one of the HP pro-line physical server. Issue: While doing custom layout partition, i want to create partition lvm based , for example :lv_root. But problem is that, whenever i am creating the partition, its showing /sda1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nats
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Converting Standart partition to LVM

is possible to convert standard partition ext4 to LVM with preserving data? is yes then how? OS is Linux 5 / 6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Safe way to shrink lvm vg_*-lv_swap partition and reclaim freed space on Linux?

Hello, # lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom sda 8:0 0 38.2G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot └─sda2 8:2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: centosadmin
2 Replies
CFDISK(8)							 GNU fdisk Manual							 CFDISK(8)

NAME
GNU fdisk, lfdisk, gfdisk - manipulate partition tables on a hard drive SYNOPSIS
fdisk [options] [device] DESCRIPTION
fdisk is a disk partition manipulation program, which allows you to create, destroy, resize, move and copy partitions on a hard drive using a menu-driven interface. It is useful for organising the disk space on a new drive, reorganising an old drive, creating space for new oper- ating systems, and copying data to new hard disks. For a list of the supported partition types, see the --list-partition-types option below. It comes in two variants, gfdisk and lfdisk. Lfdisk aims to resemble Linux fdisk 2.12, while gfdisk supports more advanced disk operations, like resizing the filesystem, moving and copying partitions. When starting fdisk, the default is to run gfdisk. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a help message. -v, --version displays the program's version. -L, --linux-fdisk turns on Linux fdisk compatibility mode. This is the same as running lfdisk. -G, --gnu-fdisk turns off Linux fdisk compatibility mode. -i, --interactive where necessary, prompts for user intervention. -p, --script never prompts for user intervention. -l, --list lists the partition table on the specified device and exits. If there is no device specified, lists the partition tables on all detected devices. -r, --raw-list displays a hex dump of the partition table of the disk, similar to the way Linux fdisk displays the raw data in the partition table. -u, --sector-units use sectors, instead of cylinders for a default unit. -s, --size=DEVICE prints the size of the partition on DEVICE is printed on the standard output. -t, --list-partition-types displays a list of supported partition types and features. The following options are available only to lfdisk. -b, --sector-size=SIZE Specify the sector size of the disk. Valid values are 512, 1024 and 2048. Should be used only on older kernels, which don't guess the correct sector size. -C, --cylinders=CYLINDERS Specify the number of cylinders of the disk. Currently does nothing, it is left for Linux fdisk compatibility. -H, --heads=HEADS Specify the number of heads of the disk. Reasonable values are 255 or 16. -S, --sectors=SECTORS Specify the number of sectors per track. A reasonable value is 63. BUGS
Before editing a BSD disklabel, the partition with the disklabel should already exist on the disk and be detected by the OS. If you have created a BSD-type partition, you need to write the changes to the disk. If fdisk fails to notify the OS about the changes in partition ta- ble, you need to restart your computer. As fdisk tries to guess the device holding the BSD disklabel, it might fail to edit it at all, even if the OS has detected it. In this case you are adviced to simply open the device with fdisk directly. It is possible that it doesn't work on some operating systems. Getting the size of a partition with -s might fail, if fdisk fails to guess the disk device, for the same reasons as with the previous bug. SEE ALSO
mkfs(8), cfdisk(8), parted(8) The fdisk program is fully documented in the info(1) format GNU fdisk User Manual manual. fdisk 18 August, 2006 CFDISK(8)