Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat add lvm space from a regular partition Post 302364033 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 11:50:06 PM
Old 10-22-2009
Two comments:

1. You can use the partprobe utility after fdisk to update the kernel partition information.

2. You do not need to create a filesystem before using pvcreate.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to add aditional space on an exsisting Linux Partition..

Hi, I need to add more space to an exsisting /u partition by adding an additional physical drive, so that the additional space is added in continuation to the exsisting /u diskspace. Is it possible...if yes....how do I go about it. Thanks, Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitsayshii
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Increase root partition in LVM

I have a RHEL6 guest running on vmware esx server and the root disk size is 30G and i increased the disk size and create another partition /dev/sda3 but i do not know how to increase the size of the VG and then intrun LV .. can anyone help me on this . fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. Linux

Creating /boot partition for LVM VG

Hi, I have a server booted into sysresccd (mini-linux OS) with 1 40 GB disk attached I am trying to create a volume group and restore another server into the new one However, when I try to create a partition for /boot it seems that my VG in LVM is not recognized anymore These are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Removing encrypted lvm partition

Hi guys, let me start by saying I appreciate your assistance always. I was practicing how to encrypt partitions in my server. I encrypted an lvm partition using luks and when I tried to remove the partition using lvremove, I get this message Logical volume vg10/lvol1 is used by another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Linux partition with LVM

Hi, I need a suggesstion i have 2 disk if i installed OS / root partition by making Lvm in one disk and data in other disk also with the lvm, means 2 different lvms. Is making LVM partition for OS disk will the performacne will be good? Can i make 2 different lvm one is for OS and other for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

LVM based partition

Hi , Background : I am installing the KVM based RHEL OS VM on one of the HP pro-line physical server. Issue: While doing custom layout partition, i want to create partition lvm based , for example :lv_root. But problem is that, whenever i am creating the partition, its showing /sda1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nats
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Converting Standart partition to LVM

is possible to convert standard partition ext4 to LVM with preserving data? is yes then how? OS is Linux 5 / 6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Safe way to shrink lvm vg_*-lv_swap partition and reclaim freed space on Linux?

Hello, # lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom sda 8:0 0 38.2G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot └─sda2 8:2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: centosadmin
2 Replies
PVCREATE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       PVCREATE(8)

NAME
pvcreate - initialize a disk or partition for use by LVM SYNOPSIS
pvcreate [-d|--debug] [-f[f]|--force [--force]] [-y|--yes] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] [-V|--version] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
pvcreate initializes PhysicalVolume for later use by the Logical Volume Manager (LVM). Each PhysicalVolume can be a disk partition, whole disk, meta device, or loopback file. For DOS disk partitions, the partition id must be set to 0x8e using fdisk(8), cfdisk(8), or a equiva- lent. For whole disk devices only the partition table must be erased, which will effectively destroy all data on that disk. This can be done by zeroing the first sector with: dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1 Continue with vgcreate(8) to create a new volume group on PhysicalVolume, or vgextend(8) to add PhysicalVolume to an existing volume group. OPTIONS -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -f, --force Force the creation without any confirmation. You can not recreate (reinitialize) a physical volume belonging to an existing volume group. In an emergency you can override this behaviour with -ff. In no case case can you initialize an active physical volume with this command. -s, --size Overrides the size of the physical volume which is normally retrieved. Useful in rare case where this value is wrong. More useful to fake large physical volumes of up to 2 Terabyes - 1 Kilobyte on smaller devices for testing purposes only where no real access to data in created logical volumes is needed. If you wish to create the supported maximum, use "pvcreate -s 2147483647k PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume ...]". All other LVM tools will use this size with the exception of lvmdiskscan(8) -y, --yes Answer yes to all questions. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Gives verbose runtime information about pvcreate's activities. -V, --version Print the version number on standard output and exit successfully. Example Initialize partition #4 on the third SCSI disk and the entire fifth SCSI disk for later use by LVM: pvcreate /dev/sdc4 /dev/sde DIAGNOSTICS
pvcreate returns an exit code of 0 for success or > 0 for error: 1 no physical volume on command line 2 error removing existing lvmtab entry for new physical volume 3 error setting up physical volume structure 4 error writing physical volume structure to disk 5 wrong partition type identifier 6 error physical volume name 7 error getting size of physical volume 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgextend(8), lvcreate(8), cfdisk(8), fdisk(8), losetup(8), mdadd(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS PVCREATE(8)