Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing first 7 characters of directory names Post 302364023 by thegeek on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 11:24:15 PM
Old 10-22-2009
How about rename ?

Code:
rename 's/(.){7}//' *.ab1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in all file names in a particular directory

Hi, I have searched the forum on how to mass replace the file names. We are doing the migration and I am trying to accomplish a task where I have to replace all UNIX scripts in a particular directory that start with bdw to fdm... For example: bdw0110137.sh should be fdm0110137.sh Keep the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root

hai, I am new to Unix, I have a requirement to display owner name , directory or sub directory name, who's owner name is not equal to "oasitqtc". (here "oasitqtc" is the owner of the directory or sub directory.) i have a command (below) which will display all folders and sub folders, but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

Hello, when i start to take backup following error generate please share solution for this problem i am very thankful to you. $ tar -czvf orahome.tar.gz /testhome/TEST/PROD/orahome/ tar: Removing leading `/' from member names O.S 4.5 Red Hat Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing files with same text but different file names

Hi All, I have some 50,000 HTML files in a directory. The problem is; some HTML files are duplicate versions that is wget crawled them two times and gave them file names by appending 1, 2, 3 etc after each crawl. For example, if the file index.html has been crawled several times, it has been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing path name from list of file names

I have this piece of code printf '%s\n' $pth*.msf | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -t '-' -k7 -k6r \ | awk -F- '{c=($6$7!=p&&FNR!=1)?ORS:"";p=$6$7}{printf("%c%s\n",c,$0)}' When I run it I get /home/chrisd/tatsh/branches/terr0.50/darwin/n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.002-8x6drw-csq.msf... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing unknow chars from file names.

I'm trying to move a large folder to an external drive but some files have these weird chars that the external drive won't accept. Does anyone know any command of any bash script that will look through a given folder and remove any weird chars? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joktaa
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]removing characters from a mass of file names

I found a closed thread that helped quite a bit. I tried adding the URL, but I can't because I don't have enough points... ? Modifying the syntax to remove ! ~ find . -type f -name '*~\!]*' | while IFS= read -r; do mv -- "$REPLY" "${REPLY//~\!]}"; done These messages are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rabidphilbrick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename directory removing last characters

Hello - I was looking to write a simple script trying to rename sub-directories chopping off the last n characters. For example: In /home/myname/dir there are three sub-directories: directory1_1, directory2_2, and directory3_3. Is there a simple script to chop off the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twckfa16
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)