Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing first 7 characters of directory names Post 302364023 by thegeek on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 11:24:15 PM
Old 10-22-2009
How about rename ?

Code:
rename 's/(.){7}//' *.ab1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in all file names in a particular directory

Hi, I have searched the forum on how to mass replace the file names. We are doing the migration and I am trying to accomplish a task where I have to replace all UNIX scripts in a particular directory that start with bdw to fdm... For example: bdw0110137.sh should be fdm0110137.sh Keep the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root

hai, I am new to Unix, I have a requirement to display owner name , directory or sub directory name, who's owner name is not equal to "oasitqtc". (here "oasitqtc" is the owner of the directory or sub directory.) i have a command (below) which will display all folders and sub folders, but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

Hello, when i start to take backup following error generate please share solution for this problem i am very thankful to you. $ tar -czvf orahome.tar.gz /testhome/TEST/PROD/orahome/ tar: Removing leading `/' from member names O.S 4.5 Red Hat Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing files with same text but different file names

Hi All, I have some 50,000 HTML files in a directory. The problem is; some HTML files are duplicate versions that is wget crawled them two times and gave them file names by appending 1, 2, 3 etc after each crawl. For example, if the file index.html has been crawled several times, it has been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing path name from list of file names

I have this piece of code printf '%s\n' $pth*.msf | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -t '-' -k7 -k6r \ | awk -F- '{c=($6$7!=p&&FNR!=1)?ORS:"";p=$6$7}{printf("%c%s\n",c,$0)}' When I run it I get /home/chrisd/tatsh/branches/terr0.50/darwin/n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.002-8x6drw-csq.msf... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing unknow chars from file names.

I'm trying to move a large folder to an external drive but some files have these weird chars that the external drive won't accept. Does anyone know any command of any bash script that will look through a given folder and remove any weird chars? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joktaa
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]removing characters from a mass of file names

I found a closed thread that helped quite a bit. I tried adding the URL, but I can't because I don't have enough points... ? Modifying the syntax to remove ! ~ find . -type f -name '*~\!]*' | while IFS= read -r; do mv -- "$REPLY" "${REPLY//~\!]}"; done These messages are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rabidphilbrick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename directory removing last characters

Hello - I was looking to write a simple script trying to rename sub-directories chopping off the last n characters. For example: In /home/myname/dir there are three sub-directories: directory1_1, directory2_2, and directory3_3. Is there a simple script to chop off the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twckfa16
4 Replies
NWDIR(1)							       nwdir								  NWDIR(1)

NAME
nwdir - Lists files in directory SYNOPSIS
nwdir [-h] [-v] [-l] [-t] [-d] [-e] [-f] [directory] DESCRIPTION
nwdir lists files, directories and their attributes from the specified NetWare directory. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -d List directories like other files, rather than listing their contents. -l Show filename in all available namespaces. -v Verbose listing, display everything possible. -e Display OS/2 Extended Attributes. -f List connections using each file. -t Show all informations (rights, attributes, file inodes) also as hexadecimal numbers. directory You can specify the directory to list. Current working directory is used by default. You have to specify path in Linux format, not in NetWare format. EXAMPLES
nwdir -t -v /NetWare/server/sys With this example, all files from directory /NetWare/server/sys are displayed. AUTHORS
nwdir was written by Milan Vandrovec. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. BUGS
Directory quotas are not displayed. User names are not taken from NDS, but only from bindery. nwdir 4/2/1998 NWDIR(1)