Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing first 7 characters of directory names Post 302364008 by euspilapteryx on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 10:16:13 PM
Old 10-21-2009
Thanks, this is really useful!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in all file names in a particular directory

Hi, I have searched the forum on how to mass replace the file names. We are doing the migration and I am trying to accomplish a task where I have to replace all UNIX scripts in a particular directory that start with bdw to fdm... For example: bdw0110137.sh should be fdm0110137.sh Keep the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root

hai, I am new to Unix, I have a requirement to display owner name , directory or sub directory name, who's owner name is not equal to "oasitqtc". (here "oasitqtc" is the owner of the directory or sub directory.) i have a command (below) which will display all folders and sub folders, but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

Hello, when i start to take backup following error generate please share solution for this problem i am very thankful to you. $ tar -czvf orahome.tar.gz /testhome/TEST/PROD/orahome/ tar: Removing leading `/' from member names O.S 4.5 Red Hat Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing files with same text but different file names

Hi All, I have some 50,000 HTML files in a directory. The problem is; some HTML files are duplicate versions that is wget crawled them two times and gave them file names by appending 1, 2, 3 etc after each crawl. For example, if the file index.html has been crawled several times, it has been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing path name from list of file names

I have this piece of code printf '%s\n' $pth*.msf | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -t '-' -k7 -k6r \ | awk -F- '{c=($6$7!=p&&FNR!=1)?ORS:"";p=$6$7}{printf("%c%s\n",c,$0)}' When I run it I get /home/chrisd/tatsh/branches/terr0.50/darwin/n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.002-8x6drw-csq.msf... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing unknow chars from file names.

I'm trying to move a large folder to an external drive but some files have these weird chars that the external drive won't accept. Does anyone know any command of any bash script that will look through a given folder and remove any weird chars? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joktaa
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]removing characters from a mass of file names

I found a closed thread that helped quite a bit. I tried adding the URL, but I can't because I don't have enough points... ? Modifying the syntax to remove ! ~ find . -type f -name '*~\!]*' | while IFS= read -r; do mv -- "$REPLY" "${REPLY//~\!]}"; done These messages are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rabidphilbrick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename directory removing last characters

Hello - I was looking to write a simple script trying to rename sub-directories chopping off the last n characters. For example: In /home/myname/dir there are three sub-directories: directory1_1, directory2_2, and directory3_3. Is there a simple script to chop off the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twckfa16
4 Replies
rm(1)							      General Commands Manual							     rm(1)

Name
       rm, rmdir - remove (unlink) files or directories

Syntax
       rm [-f] [-r] [-i] [-] file-or-directory-name...
       rmdir directory-name...

Description
       The command removes the entries for one or more files from a directory.	If there are no links to the file then the file is destroyed.  For
       further information, see

The command removes entries for the named directories, which must be empty.  If they are not empty, the directories remain, and displays an
       error message (see EXAMPLES).

To  remove  a file, you must have write permission in its directory, but you do not need read or write permission on the file itself.  When
       you are using from a terminal, and you do not have write permission on the file, the command asks for confirmation  before  destroying  the
       file.

If  input  is redirected from the standard input device (your terminal), then checks to ensure that input is not coming from your terminal.
       If not, sets the -f option, which overrides the file protection, and removes the files silently, regardless of what you have  specified	in
       the file redirected as input to See EXAMPLES.

Options
       -    Specifies that the named files have names beginning with a minus (for example ).

-f   Forces the removal of file or directory without first requesting confirmation.  Only system or usage messages are displayed.

-i   Prompts  for yes or no response before removing each entry.  Does not ask when combined with the -f option.  If you type a y, followed
	    by any combination of characters, a yes response is assumed.

-r   Recursively removes all entries from the specified directory and, then, removes the entry for that directory from  its  parent  direc-
	    tory.

Examples
       The following example shows how to remove a file in your current working directory.
       rm myfile
       This example shows use of the null option to remove a file beginning with a minus sign.
       rm - -gorp
       This example shows how a confirmation is requested for removal of a file for which you do not have write permission.
       rm testfile
       rm: override protection 400 for testfile? y
       This  example  shows  how  the combination of -i and -r options lets you examine all the files in a directory before removing them.  In the
       example, mydirectory is a subdirectory of the current working directory.  Note that the last question requests confirmation before removing
       the  directory  itself.	 Although  the user types ``y'', requesting removal of the directory, the command does not allow this, because the
       directory is not empty; the user typed ``n'' to the question about the file file2 , so file2 was not removed.
       rm -ir mydirectory
       rm: remove mydirectory/file1? y
       rm: remove mydirectory/file2? n
       rm: remove mydirectory? y
       rm: mydirectory: Directory not empty
       This example illustrates that overrides file protection when input is redirected from the standard input device.  The user creates  a  file
       named ``alfie'', with a read-only file protection.  The user then creates a file named ``ans'' to contain the character ``n''.  The command
       following destroys the file ``alfie'', even though the redirected input file requested no deletion.
       cat > alfie
       hello
       ^d
       chmod 444 alfie
       cat > ans
       n
       ^d
       rm < ans alfie

See Also
       unlink(2)

rm(1)