Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Limitations on the partition of linux Post 302363961 by Corona688 on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 05:51:11 PM
Old 10-21-2009
What partitions you create depends on what your setup is. There aren't significant limitations on partitions for a modern PC.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copying a Linux distro from one partition to the other...

Hola. Here is how my partition table looks: Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/hde1 1 1689 13566861 7 HPFS/NTFS /dev/hde2 * 1690 2783 8787555 83 Linux /dev/hde3 2784 2813 240975 82 Linux swap /dev/hde4 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Proper
5 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

mandrake/ linux partition

okay... I want to learn linux, i have some books, but im one of those types who would rather get my hands dirty then read a textbook. dont get me wrong, i will spend some time reading. I really want to install mandrake first, but because i have no experience with Linux or unix, i think im... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestra
2 Replies

4. Linux

how to create new partition in Linux

i want to create on directory called /data under "/ " . but when i m using mkdir /data it is telling permission denied. could any one tell me how to do it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

5. Linux

How do I defragmemt a partition on Linux?

conveyed my question in short; need urgent help. -ilan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
7 Replies

6. Linux

Linux partitions and limitations

In recently reading an article on linux basics before I embark and my personal installation project I came across this passage - IDE drives have three types of partition: primary, logical, and extended. The partition table is located in the master boot record (MBR) of a disk. The MBR is the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synchlavier
12 Replies

7. Red Hat

Linux partition with LVM

Hi, I need a suggesstion i have 2 disk if i installed OS / root partition by making Lvm in one disk and data in other disk also with the lvm, means 2 different lvms. Is making LVM partition for OS disk will the performacne will be good? Can i make 2 different lvm one is for OS and other for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Resize Linux partition

Hello., Could any one please share the informaiton about this or please point me the reference : Assume, we have the following partition after linux machine is setup, it will mention like this : bash$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/xvda2 10G... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limitations of 'pdftotext' in Linux...

Guys: I have a customer using the 'pdftotext' utility under Linux. PDFs are received via email, converted to text, etc. and it has worked nicely for years. They received a PDF from a customer and the utility will not read it. The text file is created but it's either empty or has 1-2 bytes of... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenlenard
23 Replies
HYPER-V(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						HYPER-V(4)

NAME
hv_utils -- Hyper-V Utilities Driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in the system kernel configuration file: device hyperv DESCRIPTION
The hv_utils driver provides time keeping, shutdown and heartbeat functionality for FreeBSD guest partitions running on Hyper-V. Hyper-V is a hypervisor-based virtualization technology from Microsoft. The hv_utils driver is one of the core drivers required to be present in guest partitions running on Hyper-V. This driver provides the following functionalities to guest partitions: (a) Time Keeping: The clock inside the guest partition will remain accurate by synchronizing to the clock on the virtualization server via Timesync service, and with the help of the pluggable time source device. (b) Integrated shutdown: Guest partitions running FreeBSD can be shut down from Hyper-V Manager console by using the "Shut down" command. (c) Heartbeat: This feature allows the virtualization server to detect whether the guest partition is running and responsive. SEE ALSO
hv_ata_pci_disengage(4), hv_netvsc(4), hv_storvsc(4), hv_vmbus(4) HISTORY
Support for hv_utils first appeared in FreeBSD 10.0. The driver was developed through a joint effort between Citrix Incorporated, Microsoft Corporation, and Network Appliance Incorporated. AUTHORS
FreeBSD support for hv_utils was first added by Microsoft BSD Integration Services Team <bsdic@microsoft.com>. BSD
September 10, 2013 BSD