Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing spaces within Filename Post 302363796 by zaxxon on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 11:02:29 AM
Old 10-21-2009
Code:
ls -1| while read LINE; do mv "$LINE" `echo "$LINE"| sed 's/ //g'`; done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces

hey.. i had a problem with the unix command when i want to remove the white spaces in a string..i guess i cud do it with a sed command but i get an error when i give space in the square brackets.. string="nh hjh llk" p=`echo $string | sed 's/ //g'` i donno how to give space charater and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahithi_khushi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file using sh with spaces in filename

Hi I am trouble parsing through a file with spaces in the filename. I need to grab "supportIDPS/SCM/windows_install/file groups/dds.fgl" and then do a md5sum on it. I am using sh. Any help is appreciated. Here is an example of the input file: 7eedbc9f7902bf4c1878d9e571addf9a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jekl5
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces...

Hey, I'm using the command from this thread https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/590-converting-list-into-line.html to convert vertical lines to horzontal lines. But I need to remove the spaces that is created. Unfortunately I can't figure out where the space is in the code.. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files with spaces in the filename

Hi I am having difficulty copying files from one dir to another due to a space in the names of the file with an extension .rtf There are a group of files and the command am using is cp `ls -rt /wlblive/home/whiops/ops/RTFs/*.rtf|head -20` /wlblive/home/jamshed Since the files are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamshedj
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with spaces in filename

I have a text file containing files in a directory structure i.e. /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_aug03 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/comb8121sep02n /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_feb04_ons /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/corpsick_jun06 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/jcpjoiners200507... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_crosby
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filename

Hello I canīt find an answer to my problem. I am trying to tar some files with spaces #!/bin/sh files="/var/installer/server Config /var/installer/client user /var/installer/Svenskt Language /var/installer/GUI user Plugin /var/installer/Firefox Plugin" tar -czvf /tmp/files.tar.gz... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lusen
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with spaces in filename

I have written a script to run ddrescue on a list of files. #!/bin/bash # # A script to rescue data recursively using ddrescue. srcDir=/damaged/hdd/movies/ #the source directory desDir=/new/hdd/movies/ #the destination directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: colsinc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in filename

Hi team, Here's a requirement for me. Here are the list of files i have in a unix directory. W 2 A D_2014.csv W 3 A D_2014.csv W 4 A D_2014.csv /home/kmani00-> uname -a AIX sliyyvxx 1 6 00F613E54C00 /home/kmani00-> The file names has to be without spaces as follows. W2AD_2014.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
GEDIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GEDIT(1)

NAME
gedit - text editor for the GNOME Desktop SYNOPSIS
gedit [OPTION...] [FILE...] [+LINE[:COLUMN]] gedit [OPTION...] - DESCRIPTION
gedit is the official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment. While aiming at simplicity and ease of use, gedit is a powerful general purpose text editor. It can be used to create and edit all kinds of text files. gedit features a flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features to gedit itself. OPTIONS
--encoding Set the character encoding to be used for opening the files listed on the command line. -g, --geometry=GEOMETRY Set the X geometry window size (WIDTHxHEIGHT+X+Y). --list-encodings Display list of possible values for the encoding option and exit. --new-window Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of gedit. --new-document Create a new document in an existing instance of gedit. -s, --standalone Run gedit in standalone mode. -w, --wait Open files and block the gedit process. --help Prints the command line options. --version Output version information and exit. FILE Specifies the file to open when gedit starts. If this is not specified, gedit will load a blank file with an "Unsaved Document" label. Multiple files can be loaded if they are separated by spaces. gedit also supports handling of remote files. For example, you can pass the location of a webpage to gedit , like "http://www.gnome.org", or load a file from a FTP server, like "ftp://ftp.gnome.org/robots.txt". - gedit will read from stdin +LINE For the first file, go to the line specified by LINE (do not insert a space between the "+" sign and the number). If LINE is miss- ing, go to the last line. COLUMN For the first file, go to the column specified by COLUMN. If COLUMN is missing, go to the first column. BUGS
If you find a bug, please report it at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gedit. AUTHORS
Paolo Maggi (paolo@gnome.org) Paolo Borelli (pborelli@katamail.com) Steve Frecinaux (code@istique.net) Jesse van den Kieboom (jessevdk@gnome.org) Ignacio Casal Quinteiro <icq@gnome.org> James Willcox (jwillcox@gnome.org) Federico Mena Quintero (federico@novell.com) Chema Celorio 17 May 2010 GEDIT(1)