Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Hidding The Administrator Account in OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Post 302363572 by unimachead on Tuesday 20th of October 2009 03:57:30 PM
Old 10-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtFawkes78
This is going to sound ridiculous but I was testing on my first Mac and wanted to play around with this hidden user account feature. After following the notes on this thread and lowering the UID to below 500, I ran the terminal command stated above to add it to the Hidden list. Now, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to reverse the process so I can access the account again under Sys Preferences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out in frustration.

Thanks!
You'll need to re-image more than likely. once the UID has been lowered (and machine restarted), the change is propagated throughout the OS and it can't be restored unless you re-image the HD with the OS again and start fresh. Don't perform this mod unless you're serious about managing your administrator account.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hidding Files in UNIX

:o ! HELLO SIR, 1) In UNIX how to hide & unhide a file. What are the Commands are there . ----------- :confused: 2) One more thing is that when i using WILD CARDS .The commands are not working Properly. Why like that. Please help me . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smdakram
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting an account to be a non-login account automatically?

Is there a way to easily change an account to be a non login account (NP in the shadow) file? I know I can just edit the file but that is not what we want to do. We use access control software and want to provide a way to set an account to be non-login using simple commands that can be mapped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired. I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringzz
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

5. Linux

Apply disk quota to account(dedicate 3 GB to account).

Hi , I am faceing lot of problem due to "disk space is not enough". senerio is like as, In system has 5 account. a,b,c,d,e say account c if very critical. Due to other user's data, user 'c' is faceing disk space issue. I want to dedicate 3 GB for user 'c'. No user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd009
1 Replies

6. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Restart old account, change email for account

Hi there, I may have had a typo in my email previously provided. I have doublechecked my email for Scott's reply but havent seen it, so I am creating a new post. My new email can be either one of these: <removed> or <removed> I beleive my old email was <removed by admin> thanks for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AKelam_MagnusA
1 Replies

7. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Simultaneously try to execute commands after connecting to remote account to one account

I have made password less connection to my remote account. and i tried to execute commands at a time. but i am unable to execute the commands. ssh $ACCOUNT_DETAILS@$HOST_DETAILS cd ~/JEE/*/logs/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishored005
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

What happens to your skype account if you close outlook.com email account?

Hello, Does anyone know what happens to your skype account if you close the outlook.com email account which are linked together? As you know they are both owned by Microsoft. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create a shell script to gather user account information and displays the result to administrator

I want to create a shell script to gather user account information and displays the result to administrator. I have created a script but its showing all the information when i search for username like: amit@mx:~$ ./uinfo.sh amit Username : amit User Info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1986
2 Replies
PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)						     Linux-PAM							 PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)

NAME
pam_succeed_if - test account characteristics SYNOPSIS
pam_succeed_if.so [flag...] [condition...] DESCRIPTION
pam_succeed_if.so is designed to succeed or fail authentication based on characteristics of the account belonging to the user being authenticated. One use is to select whether to load other modules based on this test. The module should be given one or more conditions as module arguments, and authentication will succeed only if all of the conditions are met. OPTIONS
The following flags are supported: debug Turns on debugging messages sent to syslog. use_uid Evaluate conditions using the account of the user whose UID the application is running under instead of the user being authenticated. quiet Don't log failure or success to the system log. quiet_fail Don't log failure to the system log. quiet_success Don't log success to the system log. Conditions are three words: a field, a test, and a value to test for. Available fields are user, uid, gid, shell, home and service: field < number Field has a value numerically less than number. field <= number Field has a value numerically less than or equal to number. field eq number Field has a value numerically equal to number. field >= number Field has a value numerically greater than or equal to number. field > number Field has a value numerically greater than number. field ne number Field has a value numerically different from number. field = string Field exactly matches the given string. field != string Field does not match the given string. field =~ glob Field matches the given glob. field !~ glob Field does not match the given glob. field in item:item:... Field is contained in the list of items separated by colons. field notin item:item:... Field is not contained in the list of items separated by colons. user ingroup group User is in given group. user notingroup group User is not in given group. user innetgr netgroup (user,host) is in given netgroup. user notinnetgr group (user,host) is not in given netgroup. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
All module types (account, auth, password and session) are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The condition was true. PAM_AUTH_ERR The condition was false. PAM_SERVICE_ERR A service error occurred or the arguments can't be parsed correctly. EXAMPLES
To emulate the behaviour of pam_wheel, except there is no fallback to group 0: auth required pam_succeed_if.so quiet user ingroup wheel Given that the type matches, only loads the othermodule rule if the UID is over 500. Adjust the number after default to skip several rules. type [default=1 success=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so quiet uid > 500 type required othermodule.so arguments... SEE ALSO
glob(7), pam(8) AUTHOR
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> Linux-PAM 04/01/2010 PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)