Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Process Uptime
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process Uptime Post 302363562 by rokerij on Tuesday 20th of October 2009 03:31:31 PM
Old 10-20-2009
Process Uptime

Hi,

I need some help about a script i need to write.

I want to check , if some specific process, are running since 2 hours.

I tried to use a loop , grep my pid and use find -ctime on /proc directory, to list what i need.

for i in `ps -ef |grep process |grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'`
find /proc -name $i -ctime ...

Can i use ctime for hours ?
Do you know if there is a better way to do that script?

Thanks for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uptime

Hi Folks uptime 12:24pm up 2 days, 3:12, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 what does the load average figure mean.. regards Hrishy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting uptime

I'm trying to get the uptime of my computer (Mac OS X) and I can go into the terminal and type "uptime" OK, and that gives me a string with the uptime in it. The problem is that the string changes a lot, and its very difficult to get the data I'm trying to extract out cleanly. Now I have 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freefall
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uptime

On HP-UX, the 13th argument of uptime is sometime the load and sometime the word AVERAGE:??? 14 Jun 06 5:00pm up 44 days, 54 mins, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03 14 Jun 06 5:15pm up 44 days, 1:09, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.01 When the time is in minutes, then the load... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uptime

hello folks! how can I display just the uptime without the current time, the word "up", and the load averages using the uptime command or some other command I do not know about? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: MastaFue
13 Replies

5. Solaris

having problem with uptime.

HI All, I have problem with "uptime" on one of the sun server.(SunOS 5.9 Generic_118558-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240).when i am issuing uptime command its not showing uptime.even its not showing output for who -b. $ uptime 11:01am 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.03 $ who -b $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeevanbv
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

We have uptime but is there a starttime?

Hi gurus, Is it possible to get the time on when the server was re-started or does the output from who -b is the answer to my question? UNIX flavour is Solaris. The uptime command gives information on how long the server has been up but I want to know when the server was started. The output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

7. Linux

uptime options

Hi All is there a way that i can return uptime if the machine has been on for longer than 4 days thanks ab (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the uptime from the output of the uptime command

Hi! I want to extract the uptime from the output of the uptime command. The output: 11:53 up 3:02, 2 users, load averages: 0,32 0,34 0,43 I just need the "3:02" part. How can I do this? Dirk (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk Einecke
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uptime script

How to write a shell script which can generate server uptime report from the UNIX servers? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paventhan
3 Replies

10. War Stories

Once upon an uptime.

Hi All, Having recently started a new job, a Data Center Migration in fact I have been tasked with looking at some of the older Solaris boxes when I came across this little gem. nismas# uname -a SunOS nismas 5.5.1 Generic_103640-27 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1 nismas# uptime 10:37am up 2900... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)