Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting first character from a user response Post 302363097 by Scott on Monday 19th of October 2009 11:25:40 AM
Old 10-19-2009
Code:
#!/bin/csh
set main_answer = $<

set short_answer=`echo $main_answer | cut -c1 | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'`
echo $short_answer

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read-waiting for user response

Would there be any reason for why a 'read ans' would not wait for a user's response (i.e user has to hit a key to continue)? I know for sure that it is doing everything else in that part of my 'if' statement but it doesn't wait for me to hit a key before continuing. The strange thing is that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring starting from last occurance of a string/character

Hi All, This is Ram. I'm new to this forum & new to shell scripts as well. I've a requirement in which I want to extract a substring from a given string based on last occurance of a character. for eg. I have a string of a file name with absolute path like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krramkumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking user response in perl

I was wondering if it was possible to take in a user's response in a perl program. For example. Ask user a yes or no question, and then depending on the response, print out a corresponding answer? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: silkiechicken
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the last character of a string

How to extract the last character of a string in bash? ---------- Post updated at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:55 PM ---------- Suppose "abcde" is a string. i want to extract the last character i.e. "e". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting character

This time I am trying to extract the number 10 from the following line. This number is subject to change and may be anything from 1 to 3 numerals in length, i.e. 1-999. Hence why I dont want to use 'cut' cmd. The line I am working on is GGSN-MIB::ggsnApnName.10 = STRING: open.internetI have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting character between 2 token - using only first match

Hello. ps -ae return I would like that the following command return 3214 echo " 3214 ? 00:00:01 acroread" | grep -o "]]]*" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to goto specific line/function and start processing if user response is yes

In the bash below I am trying to run the script entire script including the ....(which is a bunch of code) and then in the run function if the user response is y (line in bold). then start processing from execute function. Basically, goto the # extract folder for variable filename line and start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unable to create new user without lower character

Hi friends, I want to create new user BG0001 in SunOS and getting below errorbash-3.2# useradd -d /home/BG0001 -m -s /bin/sh BG0001 UX: useradd: BG0001 name should have at least one lower case character. bash-3.2# bash-3.2# OS version is as belowbash-3.2# cat /etc/release ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepkmehra
7 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)