Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If FTP cron job fails to connect = quit Post 302362955 by mokachoka on Monday 19th of October 2009 03:09:46 AM
Old 10-19-2009
the actual scripts that are running are in my other thread in Shell programming and scripting. The operating system im using is Ubuntu, the FTP program i am using is lftp.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp in cron job

I am writing a script that will be placed in a crontab, which basically retrieves a file that is overwritten everyday (with current customer data) and then sent to another company. I was wondering what the best way to ensure that ftp was successful and notification of a success or failure message.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterja
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron ftp job help

I am new to cron and am trying to set a cron job that will run everyday at 2 to go out to a server (via ftp with user name and password) and get a file and then bring it back to my sever. Below is what I have but it doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be appreciated. cron command - will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bernfuss
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron FTP job

We have a script that we run manually, we want to set it up so that it will run automatically via cron, the problem is during the ftp process nothing is put, the script logs in changes directory fine, but nothing is put to the directory. I have tried it as root, a power user, etc. I have made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvin51796
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job fails, but works fine from command line

I have a very basic script that essentially sends a log file, via FTP, to a backup server. My cron entry to run this every night is: 55 23 * * * /usr/bin/archive_logs The script runs perfectly when executed manually, and actually worked via cron for about three weeks. However, it mysteriously... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Im trying to create a FTP Cron Job

Hello, Im fairly new to this and am hoping for your help in moving forward. 1. I need to carry out a FTP transfer from SERVER1 to SERVER2 at 3am every morning. 2. The FTP is to work on SERVER1 3. There will be many files to transfer (96 files per day) 4. I want to delete the files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nozerf
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron job fails every now and then.

I added a shell script to cron that executes every 5-15 minutes. It's used to monitor multiple environments, so it has to ssh to each machine to check the status of that machine. Sometimes, I may have more than one instance of this script running at the same time. So, here's my problem. I've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quit FTP issue

Hey, same problem. i want to check if files have been successfuly transferred after getting them back, but after I quit the ftp, nothing gets executed. Difference from original post is that I get 226 and 221 feedbacks from the server. 226 Transfer complete. 2409 bytes received in 0.0086... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpflug
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron job to extact lines from files to another file and ftp to new server

i have a text file in this format: which creates a new one everyday in the form of filename _zing__r200_2012_8_10_log.txt Fri Aug 10 07:29:17 EDT 2012, usera(192.168.0.245) to anotheruser: hey top, this is a private test Fri Aug 10 07:29:28 EDT 2012, anotheruser(192.168.0.245) to usera: got... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job fails with [DataDirect][ODBC lib] Connection not open error

Hi, When run the script directly...it executes as expected. But when put it in crontab the job fails with this error: Connection not open 08003: Connection not open Unable to connect to the database... how come it is not able to connect when cron job fires?... Do I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthakki
7 Replies
queuedefs(4)                                                       File Formats                                                       queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)