Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I want to understand bash better Post 302362938 by gongzibaihu on Sunday 18th of October 2009 11:20:34 PM
Old 10-19-2009
1. export: make sure that commands in subshells can read the exported variable.
2. umask: set default file permissions for new created files&directories; umask 002 means your default file permission is 664, and 775 for directories.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't understand

how i can download this game n start it :S (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BoyArcher
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't understand this at all.

Ok, i've been trying to write some shell scripts. nothing challenging, but just automating All of the tutorials i read say to start the file with #!/bin/bash or whatever your path to bash is. So i do it, and all of my scripts error out saying ./nameofscript:command not found when i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: severndigital
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts. Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) : exec eval source I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much. Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understand Bash scripting encryption

Dear all, I have been working with Linux for quite few years but never required to learn Bash and Linux really dep doan. I want to learn bash I bought books and Have been reading on the Internet but I cannot find my answers, maybe I am blind. For example: What does this means? # for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: renpippa
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do not understand why my while loop fail (bash)

Hi again :) I still need your help now... #!/bin/bash SIZE=`ls -s text.txt` while do done My problem is that the line "while ..." still print the same value after the first loop. In one instruction change the size of text.txt I've run my bash script in debug mode, and the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Link_
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another Simple BASH command I don't understand. Help?

I have a text file called file1 which contains the text: "ls -l" When I enter this command: bash < file1 > file1 file1 gets erased. However if I enter this command: bash < file1 > newfile the output from "ls -l" is stored in newfile. My question is why doesn't file1's text ("ls -l") get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning curve to understand bash iteration

Hi Folks, I know on one side there is script and on another side there is smart script. I am able to achieve what I got but thought there has to be a code which doesn't require multiple lines. So if you guys can help me out than it will be awesome. Also I wrote in cshell but if can get both the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
HIME(1) 						    hime input method platform							   HIME(1)

NAME
hime - an input method server SYNOPSIS
hime [-h|-v|--version] DESCRIPTION
hime is an input method(IM) server, which focused mainly on Traditional Chinese. It is also very useful for Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and many other languages. IM table format of hime is almost as same as those of scim and xcin. Users may append their IMs to hime very eas- ily. If you are looking for configuration tool of hime, please see the manpage of hime-setup. OPTIONS
-h, -v, --version Show version of hime. FILES
/usr/share/hime/table/gtab.list Input methods available for hime. You may copy it to $HOME/.config/hime/ and edit it as you like. If you have no $HOME/.con- fig/hime/gtab.list, /usr/share/hime/table/gtab.list will be used. /usr/share/hime/script/utf8-edit A file helps hime finding text editors when needed. You may add any UTF-8 compatible text editor to it. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
LC_CTYPE For bash: export LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF-8 For csh: setenv LC_CTYPE zh_TW.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS For bash: export XMODIFIERS=@im=hime For csh: setenv XMODIFIERS @im=hime GTK_IM_MODULE For bash: export GTK_IM_MODULE=hime For csh: setenv GTK_IM_MODULE hime QT_IM_MODULE For bash: export QT_IM_MODULE=hime For csh: setenv QT_IM_MODULE hime HIME_CONNECT_MSG_ON Display messages for socket connections. HIME_DBG_TMP Display additional debug messages. HIME_ERR_COREDUMP Option for debugging. HIME_IM_CLIENT_NO_AUTO_EXEC Disable auto-evoke in hime protocol. HIME_OUTPUT_FILTER Assign output filter to process data before the IM server send them to clients. HIME_TABLE_DIR Assign directory for IM tables other then /usr/share/hime/table. SEE ALSO
hime-setup(1), cin2gtab(1), hime-phoa2d(1), hime-juyin-learn(1), hime-message(1) AUTHORS
Edward Der-Hua Liu Wrote hime and associated tools. Friend of Chanjei IM, Malaysia <www.chinesecj.com> Author of original Chanjei IM version 5 table. Dayi Co., Ltd. <http://www.dayi.com> Author of Dayi IM. HIME 0.8 2 FEB 2008 HIME(1)