Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Query related to Inodes in Solaris Post 302362762 by jp2542a on Saturday 17th of October 2009 11:42:20 AM
Old 10-17-2009
Wrench

Density is the number of inodes that will be created in a filesystem as a ratio of inodes per bytes in the filesystem. If the fs will have a lot of small files, then you want lots of inodes and hence high density (low -i value). If you have a few large files, then you want low density (high -i value). Look at the link I gave you near the bottom.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query related to #!/bin/sh

hi All Why is #!/bin/sh being used in most of the ksh scripts......? I have seen this (#!/bin/sh) being used at the start of the script Regards Suresh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed related query

Hi I have a file which looks like this //string = "abcd"; //info //string = "*pqrs"; //add string = "#123"; //sub //string = "#1234567890" data = check(string) //string = "#1234567890" I want to modify this as string = "#987"; //mult data = check(string) How do i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopsman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk related query

hi, I have to extract a column from a file and then updated that column..?? Now i can use wak for extracting it and then how to update it.. $ awk' {print $5}' input_file Can i use sed command here piping it to the output from the awk command.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisek.says
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print related query

i Am using the below query and printing the $8 and $9 filed.. find /A/B/C/{1,3,5,7} -name "*.txt" -o -name "*.csv" -o -name "*.TXT" -o -name "*.dat" |xargs ls -ltr |awk '{print $8 ,$9}' > result.xls this give me the rsult like below.. 2008/home/ADMIN/om/1.txt 2008/home/ADMIN/om/hi.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sapan123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

query related to if

wht does below statement mean? if wht does dis -d option do?? TIA. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sainathdeg
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Query related to boot process of Solaris x86

I am a linux user and trying to relate Solaris x86 boot process with that of Linux.. Please correct me if wrong with my understanding on Solaris x86 booting process: 1.POST by BIOS. 2.BIOS loads mboot program from MBR of the hard disk. 3.mboot loads Grub stage1 from /boot/grub/stage1 4.Grub... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

datetimestamp related query!

Hi all, I have put a query in a thread but didn't get any reply. Hoping to get a reply here. I have a file in that one line resembles like below... Forwarded by Deepak on 11/15/2009 10:28 AM EST ofcourse AM can be PM also... so what i need is first i need to get only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarty86
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A query related to 'ls' command

I am executing the ls command to show the contents of a folder, it shows some number in front of word total as highlighted in blue color below quotes. Can anyone please share that what it is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaib
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

query related to grep

Hi All, The result for 'grep "cert_codes" /develop/sales/appl.srce/*.4gl' command will be saved at aa.txt grep "cert_codes" /develop/sales/appl.srce/*.4gl >aa.txt But I am not sure, whether, all result stored in .txt file in case of multi-line result. Please revert back if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbankar
2 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Interfaces related query

I need to list the interfaces that uses FTP instead of SFTP on my applications that are on AIX servers. How do I get that list of IP addresses that connect to my applications via FTP? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies
USTAT(2)                                                     Linux Programmer's Manual                                                    USTAT(2)

NAME
ustat - get filesystem statistics SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> /* libc[45] */ #include <ustat.h> /* glibc2 */ int ustat(dev_t dev, struct ustat *ubuf); DESCRIPTION
ustat() returns information about a mounted filesystem. dev is a device number identifying a device containing a mounted filesystem. ubuf is a pointer to a ustat structure that contains the following members: daddr_t f_tfree; /* Total free blocks */ ino_t f_tinode; /* Number of free inodes */ char f_fname[6]; /* Filsys name */ char f_fpack[6]; /* Filsys pack name */ The last two fields, f_fname and f_fpack, are not implemented and will always be filled with null bytes (''). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned and the ustat structure pointed to by ubuf will be filled in. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT ubuf points outside of your accessible address space. EINVAL dev does not refer to a device containing a mounted filesystem. ENOSYS The mounted filesystem referenced by dev does not support this operation, or any version of Linux before 1.3.16. CONFORMING TO
SVr4. NOTES
ustat() is deprecated and has been provided only for compatibility. All new programs should use statfs(2) instead. HP-UX notes The HP-UX version of the ustat structure has an additional field, f_blksize, that is unknown elsewhere. HP-UX warns: For some filesystems, the number of free inodes does not change. Such filesystems will return -1 in the field f_tinode. For some filesystems, inodes are dynam- ically allocated. Such filesystems will return the current number of free inodes. SEE ALSO
stat(2), statfs(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 USTAT(2)