Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users logrotate with /etc/logrotate.conf file Post 302362727 by pludi on Saturday 17th of October 2009 07:04:33 AM
Old 10-17-2009
The "problem" is that logrotate doesn't immediately switch any logs, but only after the rotation time for a file (in your case 1 day) has passed since it was first seen. So if you have 2 files, for the 14th and 15th of the month, and logrotate first sees them on the 16th of the month, they'll normally get rotated on the 17th.

With applications separating their logs by themselves, it's probably easier to work with find, eg:
Code:
find /var/log/jboss -type f -name '*.log' -mtime +1 -exec gzip -9 '{}' ';'
find /var/log/jboss -type f -name '*.log.gz' -mtime +4 -exec rm -f '{}' ';'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate.conf

I changed the logrotate.conf file to make a new log file to be automatically rotated daily. But after a night, I have not seen the rotated file. When does this rotation happen? I mean what is the exact time? In addition, do I have to restart what deamon to make the change take effect? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to set size in logrotate.conf

Hi,guys: recently,i am puzzled by a question .when i create a new file named by /etc/logrotate.d/debug. The cont. is listed as follow: /var/log/debug { rotate 3 missingok notifempty size=2k prerotate /bin/kill -HUP `cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: icehero
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Some questions about Logrotate.conf

Hi all, I have to configure the logrotate.conf file on some Linux RedHat servers. So, by default I seen the file is as follow: # see "man logrotate" for details # rotate log files weekly weekly # keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs rotate 4 # create new (empty) log files after rotating... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain this logrotate file

Very silly question .. I deleted it .. Please delete this thread too . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

File is missing after logrotate!!

I am having a requirement to rotate the my application logs dailay as it is keep on writiing to single file and below is the logrotate function which I am using, cat /apps/bmc/bmtm/QPasa_logrotate.conf /apps/bmc/bmtm/all_events.log /apps/bmc/bmtm/history_association.log { missingok ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandyrajh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logrotate - I am not able to rotate files using logrotate

I have written script which is working in Home directory perfectly and also compressing log files and rotating correctly. But, when i try to run script for /var/log/ i am able to get compressed log files but not able to get rotation of compressed log files. Please suggest. I am using below command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
5 Replies

7. AIX

Logrotate - /etc/logrotate.conf does't exist

Hi Admins. I have installed logrotate rpm on Aix 6.1. After the installation of rpm, I don't find /etc/logrotate.conf file and /etc/logrotate.d dir . The config file is located in /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf. When I ran logrotate -v /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf I get below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
2 Replies

8. AIX

Logrotate.conf

Hey Admins, I have installed logrotate on AIX server. I want to configure it for 1. /var/log/messages – keep 90 days, i.e., weekly rotate 13 2. Syslog – keep 90 days i.e., weekly rotate 13 3. Wtmp – keep 90 days i.e., weekly rotate 13 4. Sulog – keep 90 days i.e., weekly rotate 13 What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
1 Replies

9. Solaris

How to logrotate a file after X days with logadm?

Hi Guys - We have the /var/adm/pacct file currently configured to log rotate using logadm - here is the entry in logadm.conf: /var/adm/pacct -C 0 -N -P 'Wed Oct 23 08:00:00 2013' -a '/usr/lib/acct/accton pacct' -g adm -m 664 -o adm -p never Just want to ask if it would like possible to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akaterasu
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Logrotate 0 byte file

Hello, For various reasons I decided to rebuild my log server on a new microSD. To simplify matters I restored a backed up copy of the appropriate config files and uploaded them to the new log server once syslog-ng was setup. The issue I am running into now is when logrotate compresses the log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyUserName7000
3 Replies
crontab(5)							File Formats Manual							crontab(5)

Name
       crontab - clock daemon table file

Syntax
       /usr/lib/crontab

Description
       The  command  executes  at  specified dates and times according to the instructions in the file. The file consists of lines with six fields
       each.  The format for a line is as follows:

minute hour day month weekday command

The following list defines each field in the line:

minute (0-59)  The exact minute that the command sequence executes.

hour (0-23)    The hour of the day that the command sequence executes.

day (1-31)     The day of the month that the command sequence executes.

month (1-12)   The month of the year that the command sequence executes.

weekday (1-7)  The day of the week that the command sequence executes. Monday = 1, Tuesday = 2, and so forth.

command	      The complete command sequence variable that is to be executed.  Note that the command string must conform  to  Bourne  shell
		      syntax.

The first five integer fields may be specified as follows:

o   A single number in the specified range

o   Two numbers separated by a minus, meaning a range inclusive

o   A list of numbers separated by commas, meaning any of the numbers

o   An asterisk meaning all legal values

The sixth field is a string that is executed by the shell at the specified times.  A percent sign (%) in this field is translated to a new-
       line character.	Only the first line of the command field, up to a percent sign (%) or end of line, is executed by the  shell.	The  other
       lines are made available to the command as standard input.

Examples
       The following example is part of a file:
       # periodic things
       0,15,30,45 * * * * (echo '^M' `date`; echo '') >/dev/console
       0,15,30,45 * * * * /usr/lib/atrun

# daily stuff
       5 4 * * * sh /usr/adm/newsyslog
       15 4 * * * ( cd /usr/preserve; find . -mtime +7 -a -exec rm -f {} ; )
       20 4 * * * find /usr/msgs -mtime +21 -a ! -perm 444 -a ! -name bounds
	    -a -exec rm -f {} ;

# NOTE: The above line is wrapped.

# local cleanups
       30 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name df-exec rm {} ;
       35 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name tf-exec rm {} ;
       40 4 * * * find /usr/spool/rwho -type f -mtime +21 -exec rm {} ;
       #

# redirecting error output
       0 17 * * 1,3,5 /bin/tar -cv /usr/sysads/smith > /dev/console 2>&1
       #

Files
See Also
       sh(1), cron(8)
       Guide to System Environment Setup

crontab(5)