Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Monitoring umask execution
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Monitoring umask execution Post 302362520 by vbe on Friday 16th of October 2009 09:20:16 AM
Old 10-16-2009
I would add:
What makes you think it has something to do with umask and not chmod? (Ive seen developers do so with chmod...)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

in this unix book that i have, it says: the statement: filedes = open(pathname, O_CREAT, mode); is actually filedes = open(pathname, O_CREAT, (~mask)&mode); /* ~ is the negation symbol */ like it's doing some type of masking. for example, fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bb00y
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

the umask on solaris must return 022 or 0022 wich one is correct and why? thanks, pa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsh
2 Replies

3. Linux

help on umask

hai guys , i am having problem in getting the knowledge about umask. actually when i am putting command as umask some value is coming like 0022 by defalut. we can change its value also. but the main thing is thye file permisiion actually depends upon umask.how is it depends upon umask i want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvendu4urs
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

Hi, I have a doubt on the umask values. Why is the UMASK value is different from file and directory? Suppose if the umask value is 0022. The file permissions for a newly created file is 644 and the file permissions for a newly created directory is 755. My doubt is why can't it be the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

5. Solaris

umask

Due to urgent requirement to resolve some permission issues , I wish to set solaris 8 server so that any file written is on 777 . I guess need to set umask , how to set it ?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: falcon16
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

umask

Hi, Please, let me know how the umask is working? As per my understanding is aprt from subtracting from 666/777, logical gate operation is performing. Ex: If I set uname 011, it gave the permission like 666 for file. Request you to explain which gate's operation performed. $uname 011... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Issue Serial Forground Execution vs Concurrent Background Execution

I have an expect script that interrogates several hundred unix servers for both access and directories therein using "ssh user@host ls -l /path". The combination of host/path are unique but the host may be interrogated multiple times if there are multiple paths to test. The expect script is run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

8. AIX

UMASK

How do I change the umask for a NIS user? Thanks steve (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steve.lavoie
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umask help!

Hi guys, I want all new files and directories created, or copy file give this permisson "rwxrwx---", with chmod i do this with octal value "770". If i execute "umask 770" the permissons is not the same with new or copy file. How can i configure this command? I do not understand the "man... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
1 Replies
MKDIR(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  MKDIR(1)

NAME
mkdir -- make directories SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-p] [-m mode] directory_name ... DESCRIPTION
mkdir creates the directories named as operands, in the order specified, using mode rwxrwxrwx (0777) as modified by the current umask(2). The options are as follows: -m Set the file permission bits of the final created directory to the specified mode. The mode argument can be in any of the formats specified to the chmod(1) utility. If a symbolic mode is specified, the operation characters ``+'' and ``-'' are interpreted rela- tive to an initial mode of ``a=rwx''. -p Create intermediate directories as required. If this option is not specified, the full path prefix of each operand must already exist. Intermediate directories are created with permission bits of rwxrwxrwx (0777) as modified by the current umask, plus write and search permission for the owner. Do not consider it an error if the argument directory already exists. The user must have write permission in the parent directory. EXIT STATUS
mkdir exits 0 if successful, and >0 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), rmdir(1), mkdir(2), umask(2) STANDARDS
The mkdir utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
January 25, 1994 BSD