Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 10 - Memory / Swap
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 - Memory / Swap Post 302362478 by jlliagre on Friday 16th of October 2009 06:12:41 AM
Old 10-16-2009
Run these commands to figure out where your RAM is used:
Code:
prstat -s rss -Z -c 1 1
echo '::memstat' | mdb -k

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Total Memory/Swap Memory

I need to put a program together to determine the total, available memory and total and available swap on unix machines. I have been searching for weeks and I seem to run into dead ends. Every unix platform I look at has a different way to determine memory info. Any sugggestions or new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghe1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

swap memory

Hi Can any help me on setting the swap memory ? I would like to set swap memory for installing oracle 9i software. RAM - 512 Mb HDD - 40 Gb OS - Sun Solaris 5.9 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaramat
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

swap memory

Hi, I want to see used swap memory I know that for this there is command free -m but this shows Swap: 16383 4529 11854 by top command while load is 1.05 max CPU % 24 mysqld why used swap shows 4529 either it is not flushed there is other command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Query regarding swap memory

Hi, Please help explain and answer the below: 1. I need to predetermine how much swap will my JVM use if it is started with -Xms 512M and -Xmx 1024M ? 2. Can a JVM process just use the Heap and not the Swap memory ? 3. If the Total physical RAM on my server is 8 GB and current Heap... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Threshold for swap memory

hi guys the monitoring team is using a tool for monitoring linux boxes and they set an alarm for swap memory to 10%(critical) I really has no idea when swap memory usage is high.... Can someone recommend me a threshold for this? when is warning or critical and this parameters can affect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is swap and Shared memory the same ?

In Linux, Unix environments Is swap and Shared memory the same ? In Linux, swap is mounted on /dev/shm ? I am wondering if the naming of 'shm' has anything to do with Shared memory ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

How much Swap memory do i have ?

here is the output of swapinfo command ==> swapinfo Kb Kb Kb PCT START/ Kb TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME dev 8192000 0 8184000 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/swap reserve - 8184000 -8184000 memory ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Swap memory

Hi team, Is there any ability to force the system to use the swap memory for a specific service? And prevent another service of using the swap memory? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
2 Replies

9. Linux

Swap memory issue

Hi, In our production box i can see the Swap space using the below command free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 65963232 41041084 24922148 0 877160 35936292 -/+ buffers/cache: 4227632 61735600 Swap: 4192880 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

SWAP memory

Admins, How can I configure the server so that it will utilize the swap file as little as possible? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I would say change the value of sysctl - vm.swappiness? And if, how can I keep it permenatly even after rebooting the system? since no related parameters in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
7 Replies
MEMSTAT(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MEMSTAT(1)

NAME
memstat - Identify what's using up virtual memory. SYNOPSIS
memstat [-w][-p PID] DESCRIPTION
memstat lists all accessible processes, executables, and shared libraries that are using up virtual memory. To get a complete list memstat has to be run as root to be able to access the data of all running processes. First, the processes are listed. An amount of memory is shown along with a process ID and the name of the executable which the process is running. The amount of memory shown does not include shared memory: it only includes memory which is private to that process. So, if a process is using a shared library like libc, the memory used to hold that library is not included. The memory used to hold the exe- cutable's text-segment is also not included, since that too is shareable. After the processes, the shared objects are listed. The amount of memory is shown along with the filename of the shared object, followed by a list of the processes using the shared object. The memory is listed as the total amount of memory allocated to this object throughout the whole namespace. In brackets also the amount that is really shared is listed. Finally, a grand total is shown. Note that this program shows the amount of virtual (not real) memory used by the various items. memstat gets its input from the /proc filesystem. This must be compiled into your kernel and mounted for memstat to work. The pathnames shown next to the shared objects are determined by scanning the disk. memstat uses a configuration file, /etc/memstat.conf, to determine which directories to scan. This file should include all the major bin and lib directories in your system, as well as the /dev directory. If you run an executable which is not in one of these directories, it will be listed by memstat as ``[0dev]:<inode>''. Options The -w switch causes a wide printout: lines are not truncated at 80 columns. The -p switch causes memstat to only print data gathered from looking at the process with the gicen PID. NOTES
These reports are intended to help identify programs that are using an excessive amount of memory, and to reduce overall memory waste. FILES
/etc/memstat.conf /proc/*/maps SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), free(1), vmstat(8), lsof(8), /usr/share/doc/memstat/memstat-tutorial.txt.gz BUGS
memstat ignores all devices that just map main memory, though this may cause memstat to ignore some memory usage. Memory used by the kernel itself is not listed. AUTHOR
Originally written by Joshua Yelon <jyelon@uiuc.edu> and patched by Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@debian.org>. Taken over and rewritten by Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>. Debian 01 November 1998 MEMSTAT(1)