Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: advanced echo/printf
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting advanced echo/printf Post 302362430 by jlliagre on Friday 16th of October 2009 04:06:22 AM
Old 10-16-2009
Code:
printf "\033[33m%s \033[32m[%s]\033[0m\n" "Smtp status" "OK"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Advanced I/O

What is Stream Devices and Stream pipes? Explain Advanced I/O ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thangappan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced printf

I want to print: WELCOME TO MY WORLD Where "WELCOME TO MY WORLD" will be in green (32) and the underline will be in yellow (33). How can i do the above using printf. printf "`tput smul`\033 leaves both the text and the underline in green. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n in ksh using echo & printf

#!/usr/bin/ksh var1="Hi World" var2="Morning" var3=$(echo "$var1" \n "$var2") echo $var3 var3=$(printf "$var1 \n $var2") echo $var3 Output Any way to get in my $var3 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf/echo in a second script

This may be little confusing. I have Script1, which pulls data from the system and creates another script(lets say script2). While I run script1 I need to add printf/echo statements for script2, so that when I run script2 I see those statement. eg: script1 765 printf " display frame-$1 timeoffset... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonrods
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Managing output... echo or printf?

Hello script guru's as i write more and more code i always block at managing output... either writing to standard out, writing to files via std out (log, temp file, etc). Don't get me wrong 99% of the time it DOES the job but maybe there is more efficient. I'm writing a small script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep behaves diffrent upon printf or echo output

Hello I want to check whether certain arguments were passed to the script, and when those are, not doing a log entry. If those arguments are not passed, always do a log entry (*new call*). What currently i have is this: echo "${@}"|grep -q \\- || \ tui-log -e "$LOG" "\r---- New call $$... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
4 Replies

10. Linux

Availability: echo vs. printf?

Hello, For some reason i dont remember, i currently believe (but beeing unsure) that printf is available on more diffrent systems (unix, bsd, linux, ??) than echo is. Could someone please enlighten me, whether this is true or not? Thank you PS: I just found pages about the diffrences of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies
SYSTEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
system() executes a command specified in string by calling /bin/sh -c string, and returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is -1 on error (e.g. fork failed), and the return status of the command otherwise. This latter return status is in the format specified in wait(2). Thus, the exit code of the command will be WEXITSTATUS(status). In case /bin/sh could not be executed, the exit status will be that of a command that does exit(127). If the value of string is NULL, system() returns nonzero if the shell is available, and zero if not. system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. CONFORMING TO
ANSI C, POSIX.2, BSD 4.3 NOTES
As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptable, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. E.g. while(something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } Do not use system() from a program with suid or sgid privileges, because strange values for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with suid or sgid privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2, since bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a modified bash which does not do this when invoked as sh.) The check for the availability of /bin/sh is not actually performed; it is always assumed to be available. ISO C specifies the check, but POSIX.2 specifies that the return shall always be non-zero, since a system without the shell is not conforming, and it is this that is implemented. It is possible for the shell command to return 127, so that code is not a sure indication that the execve() call failed. SEE ALSO
sh(1), signal(2), wait(2), exec(3) 2001-09-23 SYSTEM(3)