Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How i can read a long integer from standar input and a string with as many characters as specified.. Post 302362275 by aintour on Thursday 15th of October 2009 12:39:48 PM
Old 10-15-2009
thnx you...

but i want to achieve this with the read command and in combination with malloc... is that possible?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if input is an integer or a floating point?

Hiii I actually intent to check the integer or floating point number input by user i.e. 23, 100, 55.25, 12.50 ..etc. However, when someone input strings or alpha character, my program has to show invalid input.!! Is there any Unix shell script syntax can help me to check ? Thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using IF statements with maths where the input is not an integer

Hi All I've made a few scripts which using GDAL extract the value of a pixel within a given raster. The purpose is to work out the combine value of every pixel. I thought there may have been an easier way to do this but alas! The code below extracts the pixel value at position X Y. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: StudentFitz
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take input from read and place it a string in another file

Hi, This is most likely a dumb question but I could not find answer to it elsewhere. I'm building a simple menu with case /esac and want to read user's input: Please enter XYZ ; read XYZ How do I take the value of XYZ and insert it as a variable $XYZ in file file.txt ? I may need to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare string integer with an integer?

hi, how to I do this? i="4.000" if ; then echo "smaller" fi how do I convert the "4.000" to 4? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input and match string

#!/bin/ksh echo DB LIST ps -ef | grep pmon | grep -v grep | awk -F_ '{print $3}' | sort db_up=`ps -ef | grep pmon | grep -v grep | awk -F_ '{print $3}' | sort` echo echo "Enter database name from the above list" echo read ORACLE_SID echo echo Database selected is: $ORACLE_SID echo ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazy_max
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from file and convert from string to integer?

Hi all, I am trying to write a script to be able to Run top command Pick the PIDs that are taking more than 90% of CPU time Get more details like what is the script name and location for that PID Script should run until I manually kill it by ctrl + C I have come up with following script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf or any other method to put long string of spec characters - passing passwords

Hello, I am looking for a method to use in my bash script which allows me to use long strings with all special characters. I have found that printf method could be helpful for me but unfortunately, when I trying root@machine:~# tevar=`printf "%s%c"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elxa1
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command input string too long, limit

cat filename| awk '{ $1=""; print $0}' in my file there are few lines that has more than 3000 characters per line and as soon as I run the above command it cores, strings core reveals that the awk is failing because input string too long, limit. can i get some help from the experts to find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
8 Replies
SCANF(3S)																 SCANF(3S)

NAME
scanf, fscanf, sscanf - formatted input conversion SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> scanf(format [ , pointer ] . . . ) char *format; fscanf(stream, format [ , pointer ] . . . ) FILE *stream; char *format; sscanf(s, format [ , pointer ] . . . ) char *s, *format; DESCRIPTION
Scanf reads from the standard input stream stdin. Fscanf reads from the named input stream. Sscanf reads from the character string s. Each function reads characters, interprets them according to a format, and stores the results in its arguments. Each expects as arguments a control string format, described below, and a set of pointer arguments indicating where the converted input should be stored. The control string usually contains conversion specifications, which are used to direct interpretation of input sequences. The control string may contain: 1. Blanks, tabs or newlines, which match optional white space in the input. 2. An ordinary character (not %) which must match the next character of the input stream. 3. Conversion specifications, consisting of the character %, an optional assignment suppressing character *, an optional numerical maximum field width, and a conversion character. A conversion specification directs the conversion of the next input field; the result is placed in the variable pointed to by the corre- sponding argument, unless assignment suppression was indicated by *. An input field is defined as a string of non-space characters; it extends to the next inappropriate character or until the field width, if specified, is exhausted. The conversion character indicates the interpretation of the input field; the corresponding pointer argument must usually be of a restricted type. The following conversion characters are legal: % a single `%' is expected in the input at this point; no assignment is done. d a decimal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be an integer pointer. o an octal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be a integer pointer. x a hexadecimal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be an integer pointer. s a character string is expected; the corresponding argument should be a character pointer pointing to an array of characters large enough to accept the string and a terminating `', which will be added. The input field is terminated by a space character or a new- line. c a character is expected; the corresponding argument should be a character pointer. The normal skip over space characters is suppressed in this case; to read the next non-space character, try `%1s'. If a field width is given, the corresponding argument should refer to a character array, and the indicated number of characters is read. e a floating point number is expected; the next field is converted accordingly and stored through the corresponding argument, which f should be a pointer to a float. The input format for floating point numbers is an optionally signed string of digits possibly contain- ing a decimal point, followed by an optional exponent field consisting of an E or e followed by an optionally signed integer. [ indicates a string not to be delimited by space characters. The left bracket is followed by a set of characters and a right bracket; the characters between the brackets define a set of characters making up the string. If the first character is not circumflex (^), the input field is all characters until the first character not in the set between the brackets; if the first character after the left bracket is ^, the input field is all characters until the first character which is in the remaining set of characters between the brackets. The corresponding argument must point to a character array. The conversion characters d, o and x may be capitalized or preceeded by l to indicate that a pointer to long rather than to int is in the argument list. Similarly, the conversion characters e or f may be capitalized or preceded by l to indicate a pointer to double rather than to float. The conversion characters d, o and x may be preceeded by h to indicate a pointer to short rather than to int. The scanf functions return the number of successfully matched and assigned input items. This can be used to decide how many input items were found. The constant EOF is returned upon end of input; note that this is different from 0, which means that no conversion was done; if conversion was intended, it was frustrated by an inappropriate character in the input. For example, the call int i; float x; char name[50]; scanf( "%d%f%s", &i, &x, name); with the input line 25 54.32E-1 thompson will assign to i the value 25, x the value 5.432, and name will contain `thompson'. Or, int i; float x; char name[50]; scanf("%2d%f%*d%[1234567890]", &i, &x, name); with input 56789 0123 56a72 will assign 56 to i, 789.0 to x, skip `0123', and place the string `56' in name. The next call to getchar will return `a'. SEE ALSO
atof(3), getc(3), printf(3) DIAGNOSTICS
The scanf functions return EOF on end of input, and a short count for missing or illegal data items. BUGS
The success of literal matches and suppressed assignments is not directly determinable. SCANF(3S)