Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem in using cat and ended up with no space error in aix Post 302362267 by techmoris on Thursday 15th of October 2009 12:10:40 PM
Old 10-15-2009
problem in using cat and ended up with no space error in aix

While doing cat on a large file (3 GB file) , I am getting the no space error in the shell script hugefile.sh.

Eg: for i in `cat hugefile.txt`
do
echo "$i"
done

error: hugefile.sh[3]: no space

Please let me know your thoughts in handling this no space issue.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat: write error: No space left on device

I am trying to create new files under my directory...but i getting the following message... cat: write error: No space left on device How do we handle this error. I am not getting this error when I login as the super user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat problem

Hello again; I have a file in this format ./this is/first/1 ./this is/second/2 ./this is/third/3 and i am using this file in a for loop with cat command like this for i in `cat directory.txt` do .......... done Bu there is a problem because my directory is "this is" but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: redbeard_06
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a basic 'for i in cat list' - Trying to get i to be set to a name with a space

Hi Have a file called ldap.list: ****** "o=unix forum" o=groups ****** i wrote a basic script that runs: for i in `cat ldap.list` do ldapsearch -h host -p 389 -b $i THE PROBLEM: - It looks like when the for i in cat ldap.list runs, it doesn't seem to care about the " ", it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

no space error in aix

While doing cat on a large file (3 GB file) , I am getting the no space error in the shell script hugefile.sh. Eg: for i in `cat hugefile.txt` do echo "$i" done error: hugefile.sh: no space Please let me know your thoughts in handling this no space issue. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing disk space script in AIX

#!/bin/ksh for AIX used=0 mount=${1:-"/mountpoint"} threshold=${2:-80} #message="hello" #SUBJECT="Disk Space Alert" #EMAIL="xyz@abcinc.com" used=`df -k $mount | grep % | awk '{print $5}' | sed 's/%//g'` #echo "Free Space available under \"$mount\" is `expr 100 - $used`%.\n">$message ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshw61
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cat

Hey all this is probably something simple but not sure why I am getting this error. Any help is appreciated. Expected output: $ ./ex_01.ksh word1 word2 word3 word4 arguments: word1 word2 word3 word4 Number of arguments: 4 what I am getting: ./ex_01.ksh word1 word2 word3 word4 cat:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxn00b
3 Replies

7. AIX

Problem updating AIX 4.3.3 ML0 to ML11 - Error 0503-248

I am trying to apply Maintenance Level 11 to one of our older AIX machines that is currently at ML0. When I try to install the bos.rte.install for ML11 it gives the error 0503-248 stating: Verifying requisites... 0503-248 installp: Error: A fileset has parts that are different from one or more... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMcNutt
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want non-interpretation of blank space using cat

I have a file say ADCD which is like following--> Please consider 'z' as space #cat ADCD <!--Yzzz|z--> <!--Nzzzzz--> Now I want to store the content of this file to a variable say VAR like this--> #VAR=`cat ADCD` #echo $VAR <!--Yz|z--> <!--Nz--> Now I don' t want the variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muchyog
2 Replies

9. AIX

Problem space used on AIX 5.3

Hello everyone, Sorry for my English but i'm French. I have a problem on an AIX 5.3 server on the occupation of a file system. When i run a df -m, this is what i get : Filesystem MB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/fslv09 3936.00 340.94 92% 7255 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veis
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add space in front of cat values?

Hi, Hope you are all doing fine. The problem today i faced during my coding was i wanted to add a space equals to a tab character in front of all the lines which i am cat using tee command. Main file contents mainfile ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
4 Replies
PT-FIFO-SPLIT(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 PT-FIFO-SPLIT(1p)

NAME
pt-fifo-split - Split files and pipe lines to a fifo without really splitting. SYNOPSIS
Usage: pt-fifo-split [options] [FILE ...] pt-fifo-split splits FILE and pipes lines to a fifo. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Read hugefile.txt in chunks of a million lines without physically splitting it: pt-fifo-split --lines 1000000 hugefile.txt while [ -e /tmp/pt-fifo-split ]; do cat /tmp/pt-fifo-split; done RISKS
The following section is included to inform users about the potential risks, whether known or unknown, of using this tool. The two main categories of risks are those created by the nature of the tool (e.g. read-only tools vs. read-write tools) and those created by bugs. pt-fifo-split creates and/or deletes the "--fifo" file. Otherwise, no other files are modified, and it merely reads lines from the file given on the command-line. It should be very low-risk. At the time of this release, we know of no bugs that could cause serious harm to users. The authoritative source for updated information is always the online issue tracking system. Issues that affect this tool will be marked as such. You can see a list of such issues at the following URL: http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-fifo-split <http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-fifo-split>. See also "BUGS" for more information on filing bugs and getting help. DESCRIPTION
pt-fifo-split lets you read from a file as though it contains only some of the lines in the file. When you read from it again, it contains the next set of lines; when you have gone all the way through it, the file disappears. This works only on Unix-like operating systems. You can specify multiple files on the command line. If you don't specify any, or if you use the special filename "-", lines are read from standard input. OPTIONS
This tool accepts additional command-line arguments. Refer to the "SYNOPSIS" and usage information for details. --config type: Array Read this comma-separated list of config files; if specified, this must be the first option on the command line. --fifo type: string; default: /tmp/pt-fifo-split The name of the fifo from which the lines can be read. --force Remove the fifo if it exists already, then create it again. --help Show help and exit. --lines type: int; default: 1000 The number of lines to read in each chunk. --offset type: int; default: 0 Begin at the Nth line. If the argument is 0, all lines are printed to the fifo. If 1, then beginning at the first line, lines are printed (exactly the same as 0). If 2, the first line is skipped, and the 2nd and subsequent lines are printed to the fifo. --pid type: string Create the given PID file. The file contains the process ID of the script. The PID file is removed when the script exits. Before starting, the script checks if the PID file already exists. If it does not, then the script creates and writes its own PID to it. If it does, then the script checks the following: if the file contains a PID and a process is running with that PID, then the script dies; or, if there is no process running with that PID, then the script overwrites the file with its own PID and starts; else, if the file contains no PID, then the script dies. --statistics Print out statistics between chunks. The statistics are the number of chunks, the number of lines, elapsed time, and lines per second overall and during the last chunk. --version Show version and exit. ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable "PTDEBUG" enables verbose debugging output to STDERR. To enable debugging and capture all output to a file, run the tool like: PTDEBUG=1 pt-fifo-split ... > FILE 2>&1 Be careful: debugging output is voluminous and can generate several megabytes of output. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
You need Perl, DBI, DBD::mysql, and some core packages that ought to be installed in any reasonably new version of Perl. BUGS
For a list of known bugs, see http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-fifo-split <http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-fifo-split>. Please report bugs at https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-toolkit <https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-toolkit>. Include the following information in your bug report: o Complete command-line used to run the tool o Tool "--version" o MySQL version of all servers involved o Output from the tool including STDERR o Input files (log/dump/config files, etc.) If possible, include debugging output by running the tool with "PTDEBUG"; see "ENVIRONMENT". DOWNLOADING
Visit http://www.percona.com/software/percona-toolkit/ <http://www.percona.com/software/percona-toolkit/> to download the latest release of Percona Toolkit. Or, get the latest release from the command line: wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.tar.gz wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.rpm wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.deb You can also get individual tools from the latest release: wget percona.com/get/TOOL Replace "TOOL" with the name of any tool. AUTHORS
Baron Schwartz ABOUT PERCONA TOOLKIT
This tool is part of Percona Toolkit, a collection of advanced command-line tools developed by Percona for MySQL support and consulting. Percona Toolkit was forked from two projects in June, 2011: Maatkit and Aspersa. Those projects were created by Baron Schwartz and developed primarily by him and Daniel Nichter, both of whom are employed by Percona. Visit <http://www.percona.com/software/> for more software developed by Percona. COPYRIGHT, LICENSE, AND WARRANTY This program is copyright 2007-2011 Baron Schwartz, 2011-2012 Percona Inc. Feedback and improvements are welcome. THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, version 2; OR the Perl Artistic License. On UNIX and similar systems, you can issue `man perlgpl' or `man perlartistic' to read these licenses. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA. VERSION
pt-fifo-split 2.1.2 perl v5.14.2 2012-06-15 PT-FIFO-SPLIT(1p)