Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu UBUNTU 8.1 Desktop Edition not running after installation Post 302362123 by salman103 on Thursday 15th of October 2009 04:26:59 AM
Old 10-15-2009
Your 10GB space should be unpartitioned. Mean's size you are giving to UBUNTU must be non partitioned space (free). First let this thing sure then see.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

How can I get Red Hat Desktop edition?

Is there any way to install Red Hat Linux any version without purchasing? If yes, Please help me. I know Fedora is alternative way of Free Linux. But I am more interested to install Red Hat Linux for Personal Use. If anyone really knows about this... Please Please Please help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagarsbhandare
1 Replies
MALLOC(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 MALLOC(3)

NAME
malloc, free, realloc, calloc, alloca - memory allocator SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <alloca.h> void *malloc(size_t size) void free(void *ptr) void *realloc(void *ptr, size_t size) void *calloc(size_t nelem, size_t elsize) void *alloca(size_t size) DESCRIPTION
Malloc and free provide a general-purpose memory allocation package. Malloc returns a pointer to a block of at least size bytes beginning on a word boundary. The argument to free is a pointer to a block previously allocated by malloc; this space is made available for further allocation, but its contents are left undisturbed. A call with a null ptr is legal and does nothing. Needless to say, grave disorder will result if the space assigned by malloc is overrun or if some random number is handed to free. Malloc maintains multiple lists of free blocks according to size, allocating space from the appropriate list. It calls sbrk (see brk(2)) to get more memory from the system when there is no suitable space already free. Realloc changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr to size bytes and returns a pointer to the (possibly moved) block. The contents will be unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes. A call with a null ptr is legal and has the same result as malloc(size). Calloc allocates space for an array of nelem elements of size elsize. The space is initialized to zeros. Alloca allocates size bytes of space in the stack frame of the caller. This temporary space is automatically freed on return. Each of the allocation routines returns a pointer to space suitably aligned (after possible pointer coercion) for storage of any type of object. SEE ALSO
brk(2). DIAGNOSTICS
Malloc, realloc and calloc return a null pointer if there is no available memory or if the arena has been detectably corrupted by storing outside the bounds of a block. NOTES
Other implementations of malloc, realloc or calloc may return a null pointer if the size of the requested block is zero. This implementa- tion will always return a zero length block at a unique address, but you should keep in mind that a null return is possible if the program is run to another system and that this should not be mistakenly seen as an error. BUGS
When realloc returns a null pointer, the block pointed to by ptr may be destroyed. Alloca is machine dependent; its use is discouraged. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 14, 1986 MALLOC(3)