Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting. Post 302362050 by diksha2207 on Thursday 15th of October 2009 12:40:49 AM
Old 10-15-2009
sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting.

Hi
I am trying to sort a file of 88075743B size. I am doing some processing on the file and after the processing is done; I get 2 files temp1 and temp2. I need to combine both these files as one and this final file should be sorted on fields 1 and 2. Space is the delimiter between fields. Record length of the file is 2105.

I am sorting on temp1 and then merging temp2 with that. The commands I am using are:
Code:
sort -n -t ' ' +0 -1 $temp1 | cat > $input_file
sort -m -n -t ' ' +0 -1 $temp2 $input_file > $sort_temp

I am getting the 2 temp files sorted individually but the final file ($sort_temp) is not sorted.

If I try sort command directly without any merge; I get this error:
Code:
sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting.

Could some one tell me where I am going wrong and what should be the correct command?

Thanks

Last edited by zaxxon; 10-15-2009 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

rhn_register A socket error occurred

All, I'm getting the following error while I try to register the server to connect the redhat network for the updates. rhn_register updateLoginInfo() login info rhn_register A socket error occurred: (111, 'Connection refused'), attempt #1 rhn_register A socket error occurred: (111,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep only last occurred error in error.log,

hi folk i need your help to find one logic.... i have error log same as any other error logs which get populated by no of events and errors... but i need to grep the last occured errors.. which cant be duplicate. here is my script. ======================== #!/usr/bin/ksh grep -i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapia
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting numbers with sort -n

Looking for help for sort, I learned that for sorting numbers I use: sort -n but it seems that that is not enough when you have numbers like 0.2000E+7 for example, sort -n will not worry about the E+7 part, and will just sort the numbers like 0.2000. Exapmle: cat example.txt .91000E+07... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Date Field with Sort -k :/

SOLVED : (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glitch100
17 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort : Write Error occured while merging

Dear Friends, I am sorting the file which contain 55Lakhs of records while Sorting i am facing issues Sort :0653-657 Write Error occured while merging Could you please any one tell me how to overcome this problem Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

KusuDB: Operational Error occurred when connecting to the DB

I have RHEL5.3 that is with the Platform Cluster Manger PCM installation. on master node. Unfortunately some files were deleted from the /var directory and then the postgresql service couldn't start. I have deleted, rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql/data and started the service again now the service is running... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahsanpmd
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Error occurred while making the net-snmp 5.4.4 on Solaris 5.10 version.

Hi all, Error occurred while making the net-snmp-5.4.4 on Solaris 5.10 version. Environment - Solaris 5.10-x86 - Net-SNMP-5.4.4.tar.gz - Path (/etc/profile) PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATHUSR=/usr/ccs/bin: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH Error01 - summary ***... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziosnim
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Sorting scientific numbers with sort

Hey everybody, I'm trying to sort scientific numbers in a descending order using the command sort -gr <file>. It works fine on a Linux-Server, but doesn't on my macbook pro with OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite). I tried to sort the following: 6.38e-10 6.38e-10 1.80e-11 1.00e-10 1.48e-12 And... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: plebs
9 Replies

9. AIX

0511-193 An error occurred

Hi, When i am trying to read data from tape cassette its giving below error: tar tvf /dev/rmt0 "tar: 0511-193 An error occurred while reading from the media. A system call received a parameter that is not valid." OS: - AIX 6.1 Tape Library : - IBM TS3100 Tape Cassette : - Ultrium LTO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunmistry
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Hi , I was invoking a sh file using the nohup command. But while invoking, I received a below error. Error occurred during initialization of VM Unable to load native library: /u01/libjava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory . Could you please help out. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamal1108
2 Replies
readahead(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      readahead(8)

NAME
readahead - file preloader for boot process optimization SYNOPSIS
readahead [options] <file-list> [another-file-list [...]] DESCRIPTION
readahead is a files preloader designed to optimize the disk I/O during the boot process. OPTIONS
-b, --build build optimised files list only, without sorting. -s, --sort build and sort list of files only (implies -b). -o, --output <file> write sorted list of files to file. -d, --dont-sort preload files described by an already sorted files list. -h, --help print the usage information. -v, --verbose enable the verbose mode. -t, --timing report time spent on each operation. -m, --maxsize <max size> maximum size in KiB a file can be in order to be preloaded, default is 10240. <file-list> [another-file-list [...]] One or more files containing the list of files to be preloaded or sorted. The files list can be generated by readahead-collector(8). FILES
/etc/default/readahead-fedora SEE ALSO
readahead-collector(8), readahead(2), AUTHORS
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>, Ziga Mahkovec <ziga.mahkovec@klika.si>, Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>, This manual page was written by Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> July 2011 readahead(8)