Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to fill up disk space for testing purpose Post 302362036 by binlib on Wednesday 14th of October 2009 09:04:21 PM
Old 10-14-2009
On a linux system, you can mount a small loopback file system under /tmp/data to simulate the shortage of space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Frustrating Disk space script

This my frustrating disk space script that is supposed to send me a email whenever the disk space reaches 90% but this has some problem that just would not work ..can anyone please tell me when im going wrong #!/bin/ksh sendemail=-1 space=`df -bhk /users/siebelserver |awk '{print$5}'` echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivsiv
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space script

Hi all, Can any one help me in making a disk space script in solaris 8/9 for instance i only want to get those partitions whose diskspace has exceed 70%. Any volunteer? Cheers! BR/asad (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asadlone
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to space fill a 2060 byte record

Calling all experts: When I ftp from Mainframe to unix server, the ftp message says fixed length 2060, but i lose trailing spaces. I tried a solution i found here, awk ' { printf("%-2060s\n",$0) } ' fname1 > fname2 works for small records but, err msg: string too long, for long records ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JohnMario
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help - disk space check script

I have a disk space check script that uses an exceptions file, the only issue with the script is that it does not work with values higher than the FSMAX=85 value. I have a file system that is at 92% and it doesn't change, so I would like to add it to the exceptions file. The exceptions file format... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddhadder71
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to 'split' mirror disk for OS upgrade purpose

Plan to upgrade Solaris from version 8 to version 9. Understand that if the boot disk is mirrored, I need to split it first before upgrade, how can I do that? Please advise. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Disk space

:( Hi All, i have 4 linux server for which i want set up script to monitor the disk space ... here my problem is i want the output like graph... also it should reflect in monitor ...as non stop process.. can any one suggest me any way where i can implement the script? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Best Practice to avoid dump core to fill-up root disk

Hi, We're running HP-UX 11.21 / 11.31 on PARISC and ITANIUM. We're looking for soluation to avoid the core dump files to fill up / disk. Which moethod or technology that you normally use to implement this? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk space utilization script

Hi, I wrote the following script for monitoring disk space and inform the concerned team accordingly. But script gives me below error syntax error at line 70 : `<' unmatched #!/bin/ksh . /home/scr/.profile . /home/scr/.infa_env # Get the list of Integration Services ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Monitoring Script - OLD and NEW

It's the old thread "Disk Space Monitoring Script", modified for UNIX This is the new code: df -k | awk ' { if ( int($4) > 90) {subject = $1 " More than 90% disk usage. Used: " $4 email = "email@test.com" print subject cmd = "mailx -s \"" subject "\" " email cmd | getline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dungureanu
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Disk space script

i have 3 servers and i am checking for the disk space of a specific mount-point, should not be more than 85 % considering example as below server1 mountpoint_1 has 70% diskutilization server2 mountpoint_1 has 80% diskutilization server3 mountpoint_1 has 7% diskutilization now when it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
6 Replies
lofs(7FS)                                                          File Systems                                                          lofs(7FS)

NAME
lofs - loopback virtual file system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/mount.h> int mount (const char* dir, const char* virtual, int mflag, lofs, NULL, 0); DESCRIPTION
The loopback file system device allows new, virtual file systems to be created, which provide access to existing files using alternate pathnames. Once the virtual file system is created, other file systems can be mounted within it, without affecting the original file sys- tem. However, file systems which are subsequently mounted onto the original file system are visible to the virtual file system, unless or until the corresponding mount point in the virtual file system is covered by a file system mounted there. virtual is the mount point for the virtual file system. dir is the pathname of the existing file system. mflag specifies the mount options; the MS_DATA bit in mflag must be set. If the MS_RDONLY bit in mflag is not set, accesses to the loop back file system are the same as for the underlying file system. Otherwise, all accesses in the loopback file system will be read-only. All other mount(2) options are inherited from the underlying file systems. A loopback mount of '/' onto /tmp/newroot allows the entire file system hierarchy to appear as if it were duplicated under /tmp/newroot, including any file systems mounted from remote NFS servers. All files would then be accessible either from a pathname relative to '/' or from a pathname relative to /tmp/newroot until such time as a file system is mounted in /tmp/newroot, or any of its subdirectories. Loopback mounts of '/' can be performed in conjunction with the chroot(2) system call, to provide a complete virtual file system to a process or family of processes. Recursive traversal of loopback mount points is not allowed. After the loopback mount of /tmp/newroot, the file /tmp/newroot/tmp/newroot does not contain yet another file system hierarchy; rather, it appears just as /tmp/newroot did before the loopback mount was performed (for example, as an empty directory). Examples lofs file systems are mounted using: mount -F lofs /tmp /mnt SEE ALSO
lofiadm(1M), mount(1M), chroot(2), mount(2), sysfs(2), vfstab(4), lofi(7D) WARNINGS
Loopback mounts must be used with care; the potential for confusing users and applications is enormous. A loopback mount entry in /etc/vfstab must be placed after the mount points of both directories it depends on. This is most easily accomplished by making the loop- back mount entry the last in /etc/vfstab. SunOS 5.10 10 Apr 2001 lofs(7FS)