Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Capturing bad packets
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Capturing bad packets Post 302361838 by otheus on Wednesday 14th of October 2009 07:55:37 AM
Old 10-14-2009
Capturing bad packets

Hello,

SNMP reports from my Linux server a large number of "ipInAddrErrors" on several of my systems. According to one description, these packets are discarded datagrams due to:
Quote:
the IP address in their IP header's destination field was not a valid address to be received at this entity. ... For entities which are not IP Gateways and therefore do not forward datagrams, this counter includes datagrams discarded because the destination address was not a local address.
How do I determine what packets these are? Can tcpdump help? If so, can anyone suggest a filter?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending packets

How can i send a packet, and what is an empty packet? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avatar0fEvil
8 Replies

2. Programming

Packets Getting Lost

I am working on a project, which has the following type of hardware setup. A special hardware device is receiving data from an external network interface. So we can have multiple such a hardware devices. Now these hardware devices will route the captured incoming data through the external... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

counting the packets

there are a number of clients connected to a server.... how can i count that each clients recieve ...? how do i moniter the activity of the client..? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damn_bkb
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

send packets

Hello I need to send some packets to check connection. Packets will be catch by snoop. Is there any Sun tool to send some packets on selected IP and Port? Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miojamo
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

packets statistics

Hi there, are there any functions that can get the packets statistics on UNIX ? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

tcpdump -w file is not capturing all the packets

I am trying to capture tcpdump for traffic to a port in a file but this does not seem to capture all the packets. Command I use is : tcpdump -w tdump.dat port 22 Why is it not capturing all the packets ? Here is my experiment: root@pmode-client6 adc-demo]# tcpdump port 22 tcpdump:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Help with capturing/reading total packets on specific port number

Hi guys, I'm using a Linux system(Ubuntu) and I've been trying to find a method to read the total packets received/sent on a specific port (e.g port 80 or port 25) on a local machine. I can read the overall total packets received/sent from the /proc/net/dev file system. But what I can't do is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lildee
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies
UDP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    UDP(4)

NAME
udp -- Internet User Datagram Protocol SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> int socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0); DESCRIPTION
UDP is a simple, unreliable datagram protocol which is used to support the SOCK_DGRAM abstraction for the Internet protocol family. UDP sockets are connectionless, and are normally used with the sendto(2) and recvfrom(2) calls, though the connect(2) call may also be used to fix the destination for future packets (in which case the recv(2) or read(2) and send(2) or write(2) system calls may be used). UDP address formats are identical to those used by TCP. In particular UDP provides a port identifier in addition to the normal Internet address format. Note that the UDP port space is separate from the TCP port space (i.e., a UDP port may not be ``connected'' to a TCP port). In addition broadcast packets may be sent (assuming the underlying network supports this) by using a reserved ``broadcast address''; this address is network interface dependent. Options at the IP transport level may be used with UDP; see ip(4). ERRORS
A socket operation may fail with one of the following errors returned: [EISCONN] when trying to establish a connection on a socket which already has one, or when trying to send a datagram with the desti- nation address specified and the socket is already connected; [ENOTCONN] when trying to send a datagram, but no destination address is specified, and the socket has not been connected; [ENOBUFS] when the system runs out of memory for an internal data structure; [EADDRINUSE] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a port which has already been allocated; [EADDRNOTAVAIL] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a network address for which no network interface exists. MIB VARIABLES
The udp protocol implements a number of variables in the net.inet branch of the sysctl(3) MIB. UDPCTL_CHECKSUM (udp.checksum) Enable udp checksums (enabled by default). UDPCTL_MAXDGRAM (udp.maxdgram) Maximum outgoing UDP datagram size UDPCTL_RECVSPACE (udp.recvspace) Maximum space for incoming UDP datagrams udp.log_in_vain For all udp datagrams, to ports on which there is no socket listening, log the connection attempt (disabled by default). udp.blackhole When a datagram is received on a port where there is no socket listening, do not return an ICMP port unreachable message. (Disabled by default. See blackhole(4).) SEE ALSO
getsockopt(2), recv(2), send(2), socket(2), blackhole(4), inet(4), intro(4), ip(4) HISTORY
The udp protocol appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD