Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding new fields to an existing layout Post 302361786 by mr_manii on Wednesday 14th of October 2009 05:50:33 AM
Old 10-14-2009
MySQL Adding new fields to an existing layout

Hi Everybody,
I have an layout file like below

Code:
f1 1 char 10,
f2 11 char 2,
f3 13 char 1,
lineend 14 char 1

Their I need to add a new field which would be like
Code:
f5 char 3,
f6 char 2

The o/p should be

Code:
f1 1 char 10,
f2 11 char 2,
f3 13 char 1,
f5 14 char 3,
f6 17 char 2
lineend 14 char 1 /* Note this should be the last field. */

Now my requirement is , I need to automate this process.
i.e the new field addtion f5 and f6 should be automated and the field name data type and the length will be given in a text file. We need to read that file and modify the layout. Can anyone help me how to approach this?

Note : For the new fields to be added, the spaces in between fields should be similar to the old fields.

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-14-2009 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a calculated field from existing fields

I need to add an average field to a file. I can create it in an on-screen report and it does what I need using the awk command but I can't get it to create a new file with the additional field. Here's what I'm working with: file layout: id:lastname:firstname:grade1:grade2:grade3:grade4 I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atchleykl
1 Replies

2. Solaris

SMF - Adding instances to existing manifest

I have a default, sun supplied, apache2 install on solaris10. It's running fine, everything's great. I'm looking to add another instance, fairly happy with how to do that apart from one thing - the SMF manifest. Can i just edit the XML file sun supplied for the default apache2 and add in details... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: craigp84
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding header to an existing file

Dear All, I need to add a header of one line to an already existing file. I know that it can be achieved by the following: echo "Header" > newfile cat file1 >> newfile But my problem is that file is huge and there is no space for creating a new file every time. Is there a way that I can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

4. Linux

Adding space to existing mount

I am on Red Hat Linux 4.7. I am getting this error message: Preparing... ########################################### You have insufficient diskspace in the destination directory (/usr/lib) to install xxxxxxxxxxxxx. The installation requires at least 1.5 GB free on this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding file to an existing tar

Hi Friends, I want to know the command to add a new file in a existing tar file. For Ex: I have a tar file file1.tar with the contents one.txt two.txt three.txt Now I need to add file four.txt to this existing tar file, how can I do it? Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
4 Replies

6. Web Development

Adding a Web Calendar to an existing Groupware

Hi All, I have an existing groupware consisting of postfix,dovecot,openldap and webmail(RoundCube). But It lacks a shared calendar. Can someone advise how can I implement a calendar in my groupware ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding New Selections to the existing Script

Hi.... i have two scripts called: "type" & "selecttype". In "type" i have only the name of the products ex.: product1 & product2. Now, i have to ADD product3 which includes sub categories: productA, productB, productC, productD, productE, productF. so my New type script (menu) looks as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Netrock
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding existing set of records in the same file

I have a file with 50,000 records in it, i have a requirement to use the same 50,000 records and add them 4 times to the same file to make a total of 200,000 records. I was wondering how to do this using ksh. Any help is greatly appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
2 Replies

9. AIX

Adding existing VG to powerHA Resource group

Hello. I am Running AIX 6.1 and PowerHA 6.1 I have an active/active cluster (Prod/Dev) cluster. Each side will failover to the other. I have on my prod side an active volume group with a file system. The VG is imported on both nodes and active (varried on, file system mounted) on the prod... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column to an existing one

I have a data file that looks like this: 0.01 1 3822 4.97379915032e-14 4.96982253992e-09 0 0.01 3822 1 4.97379915032e-14 4.96982253992e-09 0 0.01 2 502 0.00993165137406 993.165137406 0 0.01 502 2 0.00993165137406 993.165137406 0 0.01 4 33 0.00189645523539 189.645523539 0 0.01 33 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)