Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix script to MOVE via FTP a directory Post 302361545 by abirdd on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 01:00:47 PM
Old 10-13-2009
Unix script to MOVE via FTP a directory

Good afternoon!
I need to move a bunch of files from an FTP site to my server.
However mget *, dele * will not suffice as I cannot guarantee that new files are not uploaded between commands.
Roughly, this is what I would like to do:
Code:

(using a .netrc)
ftp somehost
bin
prompt
cd some_folder
ls > LIST_OF_FILES
bye
For each $FILE_1 in LIST_OF_FILES
ftp somehost
prompt
bin
cd some_folder
get $FILE_1
bye
crccheck $FILE_1 // (the filename is file_CRC#.txt) This can be done later..
ftp somehost prompt cd some_folder dele $FILE_1 bye end for each

My problems are:
1)when running ls > files.lst in my csh script, files.lst is always empty, for whatever reason the output is not making it in a file, if I run an ls without the >, I do see 20 files.
2) when I have my files.lst, I need help with an awk/sed etc loop
Thank you so much for your help / ideas.
Derek

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script for sending a file from one unix directory to another unix server director

Hi, My local server is :/usr/abcd/ Remote server is :/Usr/host/test/ I want to send files from local unix directory(All files starting with O_999) to remote host unix directory. Can any body give me the Unix Shell script to do this. One more doubt: Shall we need to change the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raja_1234
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to Transfer a whole Directory from unix to windows using FTP?

Hi I can transfer a single file and multiple file from unix to widows using get and mget command.But i dont know How to transfer a whole directory from unix to windows using command. pls help me Ramkumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumarm83
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory, is this possible? if it is, can someone help me on this? Thanks! God bless! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files to a directory according to date

hi all, here is the description to my problem. input parameter: $date1 based on the date i need to select three files starting with audit.log* based on its modified date, a date before, a date after(if its exists). We need to compare the input date to modified date of the file. And then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashrocks
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to move a directory using ftp??

Hi all, Is it possible to move a directory using ftp service?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeegopikannan
2 Replies

6. Programming

Script for creating a directory & move the .tif files in it.

Hi Team, I have thousands of TIF files which are converted from PDF. Below is a sample of it. LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320001.tif LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320002.tif LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320003.tif LH9411_ANGENIAHUTCHINSON_2012041812102510250001.tif... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare substrings of multiple filenames and move to different directory

Hi there, I am having trouble with a script I have written, which is designed to search through a directory for a header and payload file, retrieve a string from both filenames, compare this string and if it matches make a backup of the two files then move them to a different directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alcurry
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move latest zip file to another directory

Hi folks, In my application there is a job running which create a .dat file along with it zip file also at unix box location /opt/app/cvf/temp1 so in temp1 directory I have one .dat file and its zip file also. Now since this job runs every day so if a job runs today there will be two files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file in to directory- script

Hi In directory /mnt/upload I have about 100 000 files (*.png) that have been created during the last six months. Now I need to move them to right folders. eg: file created on 2014-10-10 move to directory /mnt/upload/20141010 file created on 2014-11-11 move to directory /mnt/upload/20141111... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies