Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting return status after run the shell script Post 302361538 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 12:42:52 PM
Old 10-13-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return status...

Hello there! Here is my problem. I hope I can get some help about it. I need to know how can I get the return code of an application in the Unix shell script. The script is like below: PREVIOUS STATEMENT & VARIABLES sqlplus scott/tiger @$sqldir/$sqlscript NEXT STATEMENT (Like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaz
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trigger a script based on the run status of another scipt

Im a newbee.. I have a script which runs few times daily. I want to write another script which should pick up the latest log generated from the last run of the first job and trigger a thrid script if the first script runs successfuly. Please help... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Athena
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opposite return status in c shell

there is something wrong with my system. when I do this: diff file1 file1 && echo 1 the output is 1. but diff file1 file2 >/dev/null && echo 1 output nothing while diff file1 file2 >/dev/null || echo 1 shows 1. the same with "grep" return status. they are both GNU utilities.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Call parallel sql scripts from shell and return status when both sql are done

Hi Experts: I have a shell script that's kicked off by cron. Inside this shell script, I need to kick off two or more oracle sql scripts to process different groups of tables. And when both sql scripts are done, I will continue in the shell script to do other things like checking processing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: huasheng8
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return value to shell script, depending on status of pl/sql udpate

Hi All, I need to return value to the main shell script, depending on whether the UPDATE command in the embedded pl/sql is successfu or not. #!bin/ksh updateStatus=`sqlplus --conn details-- << EOF DECLARE var_rows NUMBER; BEGIN update table_name set column_name =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rituparna_gupta
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output of script on screen and file with correct return status of the called script.

Hi, I am trying to capture logs of the script in the file as well as on the screen. I have used exec and tee command for this. While using exec command I am getting the correct output in the file but, script output is not getting displayed on the screen as it get executed. Below is my sample... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script has to run until the status value is updated

Hi All, Need some help like how to exit from the script after updating the column in data base. db2 connect to DB STATUS=$(db2 "SELECT STATUS FROM XYZ ) echo $STATUS Initially the status value will be '4' or 'NOT YET RUN'. The Shell script has to run until the status value is updated... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanmca2006
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inner script run and its exit status

Main Script #!/bin/ksh echo "Maimn script" ./clocal/www/web-data/WAS/WebSphere7/scripts/DealerLocator/Scripts/secondscript.ksh echo "$? = status" Sdecond Script #!/bin/ksh echo "In second SCript" exit 1 Output: Maimn script ./testmain.ksh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
FAXCRON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							FAXCRON(8)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date (1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/hylafax spooling area /var/spool/hylafax/status/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8), faxq(8), faxgetty(8), faxsend(8), xferfaxstats(8), recvstats(8), hylafax-server(5) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8)