Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need specific byte positions of a file Post 302361339 by rmv on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 03:27:09 AM
Old 10-13-2009
Well , I am new to sed and awk
please let me know how I run this script ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Write byte range/chunk of data from specific location in file

I am new to Unix so will really appreciate if someone can guide me on this. What I want to do is: Step1: Read binary file - pick first 2 bytes, convert from hex to decimal. Read the next 3 bytes as well. 2 bytes will specify the number of bytes 'n' that I want to read and write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kbenipel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search flat file in specific byte

I am on AIX Unix. I want to read a flat file for a string in a certain byte. I want to find the value: 943034 in column 56; and write out just those records to another file. Also, could I get the line/record number of where it was found in the input file? Thank you, sboxtops (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

output strings to specific positions in a file

Been searching for about 3 hours for similar functionality that I can get examples of how to output text from variables into certain locations in a file. I would like to incorporate this into a script. I have not been able to find a command example that does it all in one method. I find part of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bennu_500
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific characters at specific column positions

Hi all, I need help. I have an input text file (input.txt) like this: 21 GTGCAACACCGTCTTGAGAGG 50 21 GACCGAGACAGAATGAAAATC 73 21 CGGGTCTGTAGTAGCAAACGC 108 21 CGAAAAATGAACCCCTTTATC 220 21 CGTGATCCTGTTGAAGGGTCG 259 Now I need to count A/T/G/C numbers at each character location in column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace specific positions on line with file contents

Hi, I am trying to use an awk command to replace specific character positions on a line beginning with 80 with contents of another file. The line beginning with 80 in file1 is as follows: I want to replace the 000000000178800 (positions 34 - 49) on this file with the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwalsh88
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter lines based on values at specific positions

hi. I have a Fixed Length text file as input where the character positions 4-5(two character positions starting from 4th position) indicates the LOB indicator. The file structure is something like below: 10126Apple DrinkOmaha 10231Milkshake New Jersey 103 Billabong Illinois ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Char/byte positions of delimiters in file

I have a pipe delimited file and I'm trying to write a script that will give the character/byte positions of each pipe in the file. There may be some simple way but I don't know what it is... Can someone help with this? Ex: file has output below abc|def|ghi| I want the script to tell the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: basz808
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace specific positions of specific lines

Hi, I have a file with hundreds of lines. I want to search for particular lines starting with 4000, search and replace the 137-139 position characters; which will be '000', with '036'. Can all of this be done without opening a temp file and then moving that temp file to the original file name. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace specific positions in a file

I have a fixed-length positional file. I am trying to replace content of position 4-13 (length=10) with xxxxxxxxxx. Sample 2 rows in this file: H0187459823 172SMITH, JOE H0112345678 172DOE, JANE In this example 87459823 (from 1st line) and 12345678 (from 2nd line) (both in position... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diver181
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)