Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Capping output redirection log file length Post 302361261 by Scrutinizer on Monday 12th of October 2009 07:31:30 PM
Old 10-12-2009
You could try:

Code:
logfile=/tmp/etc/vpnc/Status.$vpn_keepalive_host1
echo `date` "$vpn_keepalive_host1 unreachable" |cat $logfile - |tail -200> $logfile

or e.g.
Code:
log200 () {
  echo "$1"|cat "$2" -|tail -200>"$2"
}

log200 "`date` $vpn_keepalive_host1 unreachable"  /tmp/etc/vpnc/Status.$vpn_keepalive_host1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection of output to a log file

Apologies for the trivial nature of this question but I cannot seem to get a simple re direct to a log file to work Step 1 touch log.txt at -f batch.sh now >> log.txt I am trying to get the batch.sh contents into the log file Manny Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnCrump
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote server file output redirection

Hi, I want ssh to the remote server and then execute ls and redirect the output to the file in remote server itself like ssh root@$server `ls /var/log/users.txt > root@$server:/home/users.txt` Can you please let me know the correct syntax for it. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output file redirection

Suppose I have a file named a When I write cat a>a The following error message is displayed cat: a: input file is output file and my file a is truncated to zero size. Also the exit status of the last command is 1 Can someone tell me what actually happens when I do so? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aagajaba
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output redirection to file

I have a system stat command running which generates data after 5 sec or so. I pass this data to awk and do some calculation to present the data differently. Once done now I want to pass this data to file as and when generated but doesn't work..unless the first command completes successfully.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnscript
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection to existing file question

So I have a existing file that I used the uniq command on and I need to save the output to the same file without changing the file name. I have tried $ uniq filename > filename then when I cat the file it then becomes blank like there is nothing inside. any help would be much appreciated... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection of ls -l output

Hi I am making a script where i want to redirect the output of ls -l to a file Example #ls -l fil1.txt > /opt/temp/a.txt ac: No such file or directory I want to capture output of this command like here output is ac: No such file or directory can anyone help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anish19
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection of c binary file to a file in shell script is failing

I am struck up with a problem and that is with output redirection. I used all the ways for the redirection of the output of c binary to a file, still it is failing. Here are the different ways which I have used: ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 2>&1 ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 1>&1 ./a.out |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maya29988
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output redirection to file issues

Hi, I have a peculiar issue w.r.t redirecting the command output to a file when using loop. I am redirecting command output to same file in a series of if condition statements, but if one block of if condition statement writes the log to the file , the subsequent block of if condition... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
7 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)