Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing text three fields at a time Post 302361253 by weak_code-fu on Monday 12th of October 2009 06:56:10 PM
Old 10-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn
Hi.

For the "three fields at a time" bit:

Code:
xargs -n3 < input_file

This should be shell in-specific.

What exactly do you want to do with the three fields?

I just want to take the text file which is full of numbers and passing the values (three at a time) into variables that I will use as arguments to pass into a function within the loop. I just don't know how to iterate through the file three fields/numbers at a time to assign every three numbers to x, y, and z variables. I hope I am making sense...

So the file would look something like this:

decimalnumber1 decimalnumber2 decimalnumber3 decimalnumber4 decimalnumber5 decimalnumber6 decimalnumber7 decimalnumber8 decimalnumber9 decimalnumber10...etc.

where decimalnumber1 decimalnumber2 decimalnumber3 need to be

x = decimalnumber1
y = decimalnumber2
z = decimalnumber3

and then decimalnumber4 decimalnumber5 decimalnumber6 need to be

x = decimalnumber4
y = decimalnumber5
z = decimalnumber6

and so on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining fields in two text fields

Can someone tell me how to do this using sed, awk, or any other basic shell scripting? Basically I have two text files with the following contained in each file: File A: a b c d e f g h i File B: 1 2 3 I want the final outcome to look like this: a b c 1 d e f 2 g h i 3 How... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shocker
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing data file picking out certain fields

I have a file that is large and is broken up by groups of data. I want to take certain fields and display them different to make it easier to read. Given input file below: 2008 fl01 LAC 2589 polk doal xx 2008q1 mx sect 25698541 Sales 08 Dept group lead1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read and compare multiple fields in a column at the same time

Hi, Currently I am coding up a nasty way of reading file input using *cat* rather than *read*. My text input looks like TextA 100 TextB 110 TextC 120 Currently I am using cat |while read line to read the first column and second column fields. cat foo.txt|while read line do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing text

Hello all, I have some text formatted as follows Name: John doe Company: Address 1: 7 times the headache Address 2: City: my city State/Province: confusion Zip/Postalcode: 12345 and I'm trying to figure out how I could extract the data after the colon so that the result would be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcgrailm
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing iostat in real time

I'm trying to write a script that will parse the output of the iostat command in real time and place the output in csv file(s). I do have a programming background, but am relatively new to shell so I'm having difficulties determining how to proceed. The cpu stats will go into one output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastergrace
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with text/number parsing

Hello I have a file that contains 10 rows as below: "ID" "DP" "ID=GRMZM2G015073_T01" "23.6044288292005" "ID=GRMZM2G119852_T01" "59.7782287606723" "ID=GRMZM2G100242_T02" "61.4167813736184" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T01" "6.63061838134219" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T02" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_novice
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields from class list files to use output with newusers command

Hello I am trying to develop a shell script that takes a text file such as this... E-mail@ Soc.Sec.No. *--------Name-----------* Class *School.Curriculum.Major.* Campus.Phone JCC2380 XXX-XX-XXXX CAREY, JULIE C JR-II BISS CPSC BS INFO TECH 412/779-9445 JAC1936 XXX-XX-XXXX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text parsing

Hi All! Is it possible to convert text file: to: ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: y77
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields into variables

A record contains 50 fields separated by "~". I need to assign each of these fields to different variables. Following is the shell script approach I tried. RECORD="FIELD1~FIELD2~FIELD3~FIELD4~FIELD5~...........~FIELD50" VAR1=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut -d"~" -f 1) VAR2=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getting the current time from a website and parsing date

I am trying to work on a script to grab the UTC time from a website So far I was able to cobble this together. curl -s --head web-url | grep ^Date: | sed 's/Date: //g' Which gives me the result I need. Wed, 06 Dec 2017 21:43:50 GMT What I need to is extract the 21:43:50 and convert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allisterB
4 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
This loop prints every value in a list together with the square and cube of the value: set values {1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8} ;# Odd numbers first, for fun! puts "Value Square Cube" ;# Neat-looking header foreach x $values { ;# Now loop and print... puts " $x [expr {$x**2}] [expr {$x**3}]" } The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)