Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dealing with files with spaces in the name Post 302360711 by jakethegreycat on Friday 9th of October 2009 08:44:37 PM
Old 10-09-2009
I'm sorry... I don't know what code tags are.

Tried adding -- before the rm commands but it still has the same problems as before
Code:
#!
#
#This script will search out duplicate files and remove duplicates
#
#directory=NULL
#echo "Wht directory would you like to remove duplicates from?"
#read directory
cd ~/Desktop/test_remove
for i in *
do
    for j in *
    do
        if [ "$i" != "$j" ]
        then            
            cmp -s -- "$i" "$j" 
            c=$?
            if [ $c == 0 ]
            then
                if [ "$j" > "$i" ]
                then
                    rm  -- "$j"
                else
                    rm -- "$i"
                fi 
            fi    
        fi
    done
done
exit 1

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-10-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: When dealing with files that do not exist

I have a process run weekly where I must convert data formats for about thirty files. I read a text file that provides all of the filenames and switch settings. My perl code is: for ($j = 1; $j <= $k; $j++) { open(FIN2,$fin2) || die "open: $!"; do other stuff } Every once in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files with spaces....

Ok, I have this script that will look for files with the .pl4 extension and rename them with the modification date... But it breaks when the file has a space in it... (files are on windows machine) ive been trying to fix it but no luck.... Any help is greatly appriciated.. #! /bin/sh for file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jay5487
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with spaces in file names in a shell script

Hi, What's the best way to find all files under a directory - including ones with space - in order to apply a command to each of them. For instance I want get a list of files under a directory and generate a checksum for each file. Here's the csh script: #!/bin/csh set files = `find $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with log files

Hi , My requirement is that i need to search for a number of strings in a log file and print them with line numbers.The search should be date wise. The sample log file is : Jan 17 02:45:34 srim6165 MQSIv500: (UKBRKR1P_B.LZ_ BENCHMARKS)BIP2648E: Message backed out to a queue; node... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charudpss
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read files with spaces

Hi I am a newbie to unix. I have a current script that reads a directory for excel files and renames the files. There is a problem now because some of the files have spaces. If I put quotes on the file, it will work but I dont know how to read all the files with quotes. Variables $1 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating over subdirectories and dealing with files within them

Hello, I am working on a coding project for a class and to test the program I have created, I have come up with 100 different test cases. The program takes four text files as input, so each of the test cases is contained in a folder with four files. I have a folder called 'tests', within which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpryor
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dealing with Empty files, AWK and Loops

I write this bit of code to calculate the mean and variance for all the files in one directory and print the mean and variance in a separate folder but with the same file name. FILES="data/*" for X in $FILES do name=$(basename $X) awk '{x=$0; s+=$0; n++} END{mean=s/n; for (i in x){ss... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with multiple files

Korn Shell I have hundreds of small files like below created every day. A midnight cron job moves them to the location /u04/temp/logs But sometimes I have to manually move these files based a certain dates or time. I have two basic requirements 1.Using mv command I want to move all .dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with white spaces in bash scripts

I'm trying to search for all files in directory with particular GID then change the GID to match the UID of each file: #!/bin/sh for i in $(find /dump -gid 200 | sed 's/\ /\\\ /g' | sed 's/\&/\\\&/g'); do chgrp $(ls -ln ${i} | awk '{print $3}') ${i} done I'm using sed to deal with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venmx
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
tkvars(n)						       Tk Built-In Commands							 tkvars(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tkvars - Variables used or set by Tk _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The following Tcl variables are either set or used by Tk at various times in its execution: tk_library This variable holds the file name for a directory containing a library of Tcl scripts related to Tk. These scripts include an initialization file that is normally processed whenever a Tk application starts up, plus other files containing proce- dures that implement default behaviors for widgets. The initial value of tcl_library is set when Tk is added to an inter- preter; this is done by searching several different directories until one is found that contains an appropriate Tk startup script. If the TK_LIBRARY environment variable exists, then the directory it names is checked first. If TK_LIBRARY is not set or does not refer to an appropriate directory, then Tk checks several other directories based on a compiled-in default location, the location of the Tcl library directory, the location of the binary containing the application, and the current working directory. The variable can be modified by an application to switch to a different library. tk_patchLevel Contains a decimal integer giving the current patch level for Tk. The patch level is incremented for each new release or patch, and it uniquely identifies an official version of Tk. tk::Priv This variable is an array containing several pieces of information that are private to Tk. The elements of tk::Priv are used by Tk library procedures and default bindings. They should not be accessed by any code outside Tk. tk_strictMotif This variable is set to zero by default. If an application sets it to one, then Tk attempts to adhere as closely as possi- ble to Motif look-and-feel standards. For example, active elements such as buttons and scrollbar sliders will not change color when the pointer passes over them. tk_textRedraw tk_textRelayout These variables are set by text widgets when they have debugging turned on. The values written to these variables can be used to test or debug text widget operations. These variables are mostly used by Tk's test suite. tk_version Tk sets this variable in the interpreter for each application. The variable holds the current version number of the Tk library in the form major.minor. Major and minor are integers. The major version number increases in any Tk release that includes changes that are not backward compatible (i.e. whenever existing Tk applications and scripts may have to change to work with the new release). The minor version number increases with each new release of Tk, except that it resets to zero whenever the major version number changes. KEYWORDS
variables, version, text Tk 4.1 tkvars(n)