Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Best Practice to avoid dump core to fill-up root disk Post 302360468 by vbe on Friday 9th of October 2009 04:17:08 AM
Old 10-09-2009
As an alternative to Jims option I (because I do read the core sometimes and try to debug...) I create a symbolic link of core to somewhere where I do have enough space (I configure al HP boxes with a /tmp2 file system of a couple of GB and force all users to use reserving /tmp for system mostly, /var/tmp also...) For the rest I totally agree with Jim

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump

does any one have read a core dump? is there any reader for that? or may i know what is the use of that core which takes sometimes memory in GBs? :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump

Hi , Working on AIX 4.3. An internal error from my apps engine suddenly causes the engine to die. During this time i do notice a core file being dumped in the directory from where I try to re-start my engine. Q is how does one read this core file, or I should say 'what is this core file'? thnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buRst
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump

I've got a core dump in my weblogic home directory, which i have tried to debug by initiating savecore from /etc/init.d/savecore start but savecore failed to create the two files, that is vmcore.n and vmunix.n. savecore is enable on my server to save vmcore and vmunix in /var/crash/hostname 1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

core dump

Hi All, i am new to this forum.i want detail of reading the core file and trace the problem because of what the program get crashed.please help me.if any body knows any website or tutoril plese let me know. sudhir (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir patnaik
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Core Dump

Hello all, Iam new to unix while executing java program which finely working in windows know iam testing with unix ,but in unix while executing iam getting core dump, my application is in client server environment and it is menu drivrn application on clicking options no problem but after some time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinp
1 Replies

7. Programming

core dump

how to view core dumped file using gdb and how to extract information from the coredumped file.can we get similar information from the other utilites like strace or ptrace. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No core dump

my progrme complaints 'Segmentation fault'. How to let it print 'Segmentation fault(core dumped)' and generate core dump file? $ulimit unlimited (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
22 Replies

9. HP-UX

Core dump in HP-UX

Hi Guys, I was wondering if somebody could give me a link to a very good source of information or document about core dump process and How to's about it. I have also googled it and found some articles myself. Thanks Messi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies

10. Solaris

core dump

Hi guys, just want to know which core file pattern is best to set for core dumps: 1) per-process file name pattern or 2) global file name pattern. I will really appreciate an explanation why the chosen one is better. Thanks a lot guys. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies
expand_dump(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    expand_dump(8)

NAME
expand_dump - Produces a non-compressed kernel crash dump file SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/expand_dump input-file output-file DESCRIPTION
By default, kernel crash dump files (vmzcore.#) are compressed during the crash dump. Compressed core files can be examined by the latest versions of debugging tools that have been recompiled to support compressed crash dump files. However, not all debugging tools may be upgraded on a given system, or you may want to examine a crash dump from a remote system using an older version of a tool. The expand_dump utility produces a file that can be read by tools that have not been upgraded to support compressed crash dump files. This non-compressed version can also be read by any upgraded tool. This utility can only be used with compressed crash dump files, and does not support any other form of compressed file. You cannot use other decompression tools such as compress, gzip, or zip on a compressed crash dump file. Note that the non-compressed file will require significantly more disk storage space as it is possible to achieve compression ratios of up to 60:1. Check the available disk space before running expand_dump and estimate the size of the non-compressed file as follows: Run tests by halting your system and forcing a crash as described in the Kernel Debugging manual. Use an upgraded debugger to determine the value of the variable dumpsize. Multiply this vale by the 8Kb page size to approximate the required disk space of the non-compressed crash-dump. Run expand_dump and pipe the output file to /dev/null, noting the size of the file that is printed when expand_dump completes its task. RETURN VALUES
Successful completion of the decompression. The user did not supply the correct number of command line arguments. The input file could not be read. The input file is not a compressed dump, or is corrupted. The output file could not be created or opened for writing and truncated. There was some problem writing to the output file (probably a full disk). The input file is not formated consistantly. It is probably corrupted. The input file could not be correctly decompressed. It is probably corrupted. EXAMPLES
expand_dump vmzcore.4 vmcore.4 SEE ALSO
Commands: dbx(1), kdbx(8), ladebug(1), savecore(8) Kernel Debugging System Administration expand_dump(8)