Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get the most recent file that contains a specific string Post 302359645 by little_wonder on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 05:55:50 AM
Old 10-07-2009
MySQL how to get the most recent file that contains a specific string

Hi All,

I wish to get the most recent file from a dir which contains a specific string.

for example, in a dir sample/ , i have 3 files
file1.txt -- contains 'good'
file2.txt -- contains 'good'
file3.txt-- contans 'hello'

I want to search for the recent file (that is file2.txt) which contains the string 'good'.

please help me on this. Thnk you all in advance!!Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the most recent file containing a certain string

I want to find the most recent file containing ' NORESETLOGS" I'm already here but, how to sort this now in a correct way ? By the way, my version of find does not know about 'fprint' find . -type f -exec grep -i " NORESETLOGS" {} \; -exec ls -l {} \; | grep -vi " RESETLOGS" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove a string from a specific column in a file

Hello, A basic query. How can I remove a string from a specific column. For example, remove "abcd" just from column 2 in example file: abcd abcd1 abcd abcd2 abcd abcd3 to get output: abcd 1 abcd 2 abcd 3 Thank you!:) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: auburn
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output text from 1st paragraph in file w/ a specific string through last paragraph of file w/ string

Hi, I'm trying to output all text from the first paragraph in a file that contains a specific string through the last paragraph in that file that contains that string. Previously, I was outputting just each paragraph with that search string with: cat in_file | nawk '{RS=""; FS="\n";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carpenn
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file with specific string inside it.

Hi , Is there any way i can find a file with specific word inside it. For example if i want to find a file which has some text written inside it. How would i form a command to search them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in a file

Hi I am trying to search for a certain set of patterns within a file, and then perform other commands based on output. testfile contents: password requisite pam_cracklib.so lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 script: D="dcredit=-1" if then echo $D exists else echo $D doesnt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I search and change an specific string in a file

Dear All, New to Linux/Unix OS, my Linux version is 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux As titled, I wonder if you can help to provide a solution to find and change an specific string in a file The file include a lots of data in following configuration but might be various in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a specific string from a file

Hi, I have a file whose contents are as follows. 2013-03-08/15:09:20.134 INFO 00000000-00000000 0034 09700400 CON_IN SessionID:ED5E1400-4805-85E2-17B2-5BE45684886A Connection ID:ED5E1400-4805-68F1-BB1D-F06496BCF910 TO:<sip:51234999@10.239.94.146:5060 FROM:<sip:9302280716@97.208.31.7:51024... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunilB2011
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a new file from another file with lines begins with a specific string

Hi, I have a file with below format myfile.txt aa aa1 aa2 qq aa4 ghs aa6 bbc gdf I m looking to create a file where lines begins with aa. myfile1.txt aa aa1 aa2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finding specific string in file and storing in another file

Text in input file is like this <title> <band height="21" isSplitAllowed="true" > <staticText> <reportElement x="1" y="1" width="313" height="20" key="staticText-1"/> <box></box> <textElement> <font fontName="Arial" pdfFontName="Helvetica-Bold"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aankita30
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)