Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extracting columns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting columns Post 302359538 by Gecko12332 on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 11:35:26 PM
Old 10-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by proactiveaditya
nawk is absent in my system

---------- Post updated at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:46 PM ----------

Can anyone help
Dude, did you try my awk suggestion or the folks below?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting columns from different files for later merging

Hello! I wan't to extract columns from two files and later combine them for plotting with gnuplot. If the files file1 and file2 look like: fiile1: a, 0.62,x b, 0.61,x file2: a, 0.43,x b, 0,49,x The desired output is a 0.62 0.62 b 0.61 0.49 Thank you in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkong
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in extracting columns

Hi , I have a file having around 8 columns spereated by space . Now that I need to extract columns from this. The problem is this functionality is needed in a script and the required columns are dynamic and can range from 2 columns to 8 columns at a time . What I tried without luck is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenbvarrier
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting multiple consecutive columns using awk

Hello, I have a matrix 200*10,000 and I need to extract the columns between 40 and 77. I dont want to write in awk all the columns. eg: awk '{print $40, $41, $42,$43 ... $77}'. I think should exist a better way to do this. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: auratus42
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns with awk

Friends, I have a file with fileds in the following order sda 4.80 114.12 128.69 978424 1103384 sdb 0.03 0.40 0.00 3431 0 sda 1.00 0.00 88.00 0 176 sdb ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting only a few columns!!!?

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like below. ################################################ Name:xxxxxxx Version:1.0 Class: 2 City : Bangalore Component Part Action Nb New Part Naming Part Name 12345 default 12345.12345 Bad 23456 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns from 2 files

Hello, I have 2 files file1 & file2 = a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3 ... = c1 d1 c2 d2 c3 d3 ... I need to compare if b(i)=c(j) . i,j=1,2,3,4,... If yes, right a(i) d(j) in output file3 per line (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newpromo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using columns from 2 files and extracting string

Hi All, I have 2 files with a common column. File 1 looks like NAME START POS1 POS2 N1 1234 1236 1237 N2 1245 1248 1250 .. .. File 2 looks like NAME STRING N1 ABCDEFGH N2 EFGHBCD N3 PQRSSTUV .. ...... ... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpesh
25 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Extracting only unique data between two columns

:wall:Hi there, I am trying to extract/filter a unique data between specific columns from a tab deliminated file, that has a number of columns: input file as follow: 5 rs1 70 A C 7 1 1 Blue 5 rs9 66 A E ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: houkto
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting wanted columns

Suppose file1 1 3 8 9 file2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 I want to print columns listed in file 1 from file2. so the output will look like 1 3 8 9 1 1 0 1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting multiple columns with awk

Hi everyone!! I need to apply a simple command to extract columns from a matrix, but I need to extract contemporary from the first to the tenth columns, than from the eleventh to the twentyth and so on... how can i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)